MBA Admission Profile Evaluation Help! Chances Assessment

This topic has 2 expert replies and 2 member replies
klamcpp Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
2 messages

MBA Admission Profile Evaluation Help! Chances Assessment

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 pm
Hello all,

I am considering business school in two years and would love a quick view at my chances at top programs.

Background:
Will be 28/29 when entering MBA program
Mexican-born Latino male, fluent in English & Spanish, conversational in French

GPA UG: 2.99 (yes, couldn't make the 3.0) overall in UG, 3.8 major GPA (economics)
GPA grad school: 3.3 Master of Finance
GMAT: 630 (Q41,V35) first try, 730 (Q48,V42) recent re-try
Schools: UG - Arizona State, Grad: Washington University St. Louis
Work Experience: 2 years in middle-market investment banking (Piper Jaffray, Stifel, Houlihan, Harris Williams), currently investment associate at billion-dollar investment manager doing both private equity and public investment work, will have 2-2.5 years at fund at time of admission
ECs: UG treasurer of two clubs, Grad: treasurer of investment society, currently treasurer at a family-sponsored charity where I commit 4 hours a week, every week of the year (~200 hours a year)
Recommendations: Former boss at investment bank (Booth MBA grad), current boss well-respected investor and Wharton grad

First-Tier Choices:
Wharton
Columbia
Booth
Stanford GSB
Berkeley
Dartmouth
Yale

Second-Tier Choices:
UCLA
NYU
Darden
Duke
Michigan
Cornell

Reason for MBA: Want to get the brand name on my resume, would look to transition to a big money-manager post-MBA (PIMCO, Capital Group,Blackrock, Oaktree, DoubleLine, etc.)

Thank you!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Top Reply
Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:20 am
klamcpp wrote:
Hello all,

I am considering business school in two years and would love a quick view at my chances at top programs.

Background:

GPA UG: 2.99 (yes, couldn't make the 3.0) overall in UG, 3.8 major GPA (economics)
Work Experience: 2 years in middle-market investment banking (Piper Jaffray, Stifel, Houlihan, Harris Williams), currently investment associate at billion-dollar investment manager doing both private equity and public investment work, will have 2-2.5 years at fund at time of admission
ECs: UG treasurer of two clubs, Grad: treasurer of investment society, currently treasurer at a family-sponsored charity where I commit 4 hours a week, every week of the year (~200 hours a year)
Recommendations: Former boss at investment bank (Booth MBA grad), current boss well-respected investor and Wharton grad

First-Tier Choices:
Wharton
Columbia
Booth
Stanford GSB
Berkeley
Dartmouth
Yale

Second-Tier Choices:
UCLA
NYU
Darden
Duke
Michigan
Cornell

Reason for MBA: Want to get the brand name on my resume, would look to transition to a big money-manager post-MBA (PIMCO, Capital Group,Blackrock, Oaktree, DoubleLine, etc.)

Thank you!
So that GPA makes the highest tier programs harder- but you have some other positives that could help. I see your best odds at that second tier but my suggestion for Tier 1 is apply EARLY. Your best shot at Columbia is to apply in the summer. You will then either be in (and if you are in you need to go so only do that one if you will go) but that can be a great way to increase your odds. Absolutely do R1 everywhere. The other thing you need to do- and I am sure you will on your application- is have a better stated reason than just stamp your card for the brand! That's not going to fly in admissions land. I can see a consultant really helping so consider reaching out for a free consult if you'd like! Best wishes!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Top Reply
Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:47 pm
Great profile here! Top business schools will love your awesome GMAT and the intensity of your work experience. It's also great that you got that Masters in Finance to compensate for the low undergrad GPA. Will it be enough to sway GPA-sensitive schools like Wharton or Stanford? Hard to say, but everything else aligns so you're wise to try your chances.

A couple of areas that might help you: first of all, goals. Make sure that for every school you apply to, your post-MBA employer choices align 100%. That means getting to know a lot about each school, ideally from the inside: be sure you spend time on each school's campus, preferably when classes are in session. Do an official school visit, organized by the admissions office. Sit in on a class, get to know students if you don't already, connect with the finance club at that school, talk to recent alumni from that school and are now working in the jobs and companies you're targeting. You've got plenty of time to really lay strong groundwork in this area.

At the same time, be sure that the community service work you do is dramatic and recognizable. Family-run NGOs are great for gaining experience, but they don't always have brand recognition at the schools you're applying to. So make sure the organization has a professional website in English, and crank up your involvement from treasurer to some kind of group-leadership role, where we see you leading teams of volunteers. This will add more value for you by giving you leadership stories to tell -- something that can be challenging for young investment banking folks.

Also, a reminder that Stacy Blackman Consulting offers a plan-ahead package that might be ideal for where you are in the application process. You can learn more here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/plan-ahead/

Good luck!
Margaret Strother

Learn more about me

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:20 am
klamcpp wrote:
Hello all,

Background:

First-Tier Choices:
Wharton
Columbia
Booth
Stanford GSB
Berkeley
Dartmouth
Yale

Second-Tier Choices:
UCLA
NYU
Darden
Duke
Michigan
Cornell

Thank you!
So that GPA makes the highest tier programs harder- but you have some other positives that could help. I see your best odds at that second tier but my suggestion for Tier 1 is apply EARLY. Your best shot at Columbia is to apply in the summer. You will then either be in (and if you are in you need to go so only do that one if you will go) but that can be a great way to increase your odds. Absolutely do R1 everywhere. The other thing you need to do- and I am sure you will on your application- is have a better stated reason than just stamp your card for the brand! That's not going to fly in admissions land. I can see a consultant really helping so consider reaching out for a free consult if you'd like! Best wishes!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:47 pm
Great profile here! Top business schools will love your awesome GMAT and the intensity of your work experience. It's also great that you got that Masters in Finance to compensate for the low undergrad GPA. Will it be enough to sway GPA-sensitive schools like Wharton or Stanford? Hard to say, but everything else aligns so you're wise to try your chances.

A couple of areas that might help you: first of all, goals. Make sure that for every school you apply to, your post-MBA employer choices align 100%. That means getting to know a lot about each school, ideally from the inside: be sure you spend time on each school's campus, preferably when classes are in session. Do an official school visit, organized by the admissions office. Sit in on a class, get to know students if you don't already, connect with the finance club at that school, talk to recent alumni from that school and are now working in the jobs and companies you're targeting. You've got plenty of time to really lay strong groundwork in this area.

At the same time, be sure that the community service work you do is dramatic and recognizable. Family-run NGOs are great for gaining experience, but they don't always have brand recognition at the schools you're applying to. So make sure the organization has a professional website in English, and crank up your involvement from treasurer to some kind of group-leadership role, where we see you leading teams of volunteers. This will add more value for you by giving you leadership stories to tell -- something that can be challenging for young investment banking folks.

Also, a reminder that Stacy Blackman Consulting offers a plan-ahead package that might be ideal for where you are in the application process. You can learn more here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/plan-ahead/

Good luck!
Margaret Strother

Learn more about me

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 112 topics
2 swerve 64 topics
3 LUANDATO 64 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 57 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

227 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

176 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

138 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

129 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts