Masters in FInance

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Masters in FInance

by macattack » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:45 am
Guys I am considering a Masters in Finance in HEC, IE, ESSEC, Oxford, LSE, Princeton, MIT Sloan
which one do you advise and why.

Profile:
University: American University of Beirut (AUB, Lebanon)
B.E in Electrical and Computer Engineering (GPA 81/100)
High School Degree: French Baccalaureate in Life Sciences (with Honnors)
GMAT: To be taken in 30 days. Mock Exams (620,680 and I am reaching for the skies)
Professional Experience: 2 month with a contracting company in Qatar as an intern
Currently hold a junior associate position at a regional private equity firm (3 month till now) and planning to stay at my job till sept 2014 when the Masters program start.

Thank you guys for your feedback

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MSFHQ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:32 pm
I am going to assume an 81/100 is essentially a B average in the US. The fact that you studied a STEM major gives you points. A 620 GMAT isn't going to cut it though. If you get a 680 then things might be different.

MIT and Princeton are going to be a stretch to be honest. If you look at Princeton's profile for applicants you have people from top schools, with great grades, many with previous graduated degrees and top notch work experience. MIT has more junior applicants, but it is still very, very selective. I'd say with a high GMAT you'd be more competitive at MIT than Princeton.

As for the other schools I would say you'd be competitive at all of them with a high GMAT. I know LSE has countless MSc programs in finance, some being more competitive than others. ESSEC, HEC and IE seem to be the "easier" ones to get into of the schools you listed.

Personally, the GMAT is going to make or break you. Put all of your effort into the test and do as good as you can.

by macattack » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:17 am
I thank you for your honnesty. I just have one more question: Do you recommend HEC or LSE if I had the choice between the two. (Given that HEC is ranked #1 for its Msc. International Finance on the financial times) Thank you for your time.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MSFHQ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:44 pm
Personally, I would go with LSE. I think both are great, but I'd rather be studying finance in London than Paris. But this is my personal preference. Both are great programs though.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rickyjhon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:01 pm
In the typical program, the core curriculum is focused on investment analysis, corporate finance and financial management / managerial accounting.

by macattack » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:20 am
got my gmat score here is my updated profile:
Guys I am considering a Masters in Finance in HEC, Oxford, LSE,
which one do you advise me to go for and why. What are the chances of me getting into anyone of these programs.

Profile:
University: American University of Beirut (AUB, Lebanon)
B.E in Electrical and Computer Engineering (GPA 81.04/100)
High School Degree: French Baccalaureate in Life Sciences (with Honors)
GMAT: (39/88% V, 50/89% Q, 730/96% Total, 4.5/43% AWA, 8/93% IR)
Professional Experience: 2 month with a contracting company in Qatar as an intern
Currently hold a junior associate position at a regional private equity firm (4 month till now) and planning to stay at my job till Sept 2014 when the Masters program start.

Thank you guys for your feedback
The GMAT can be destroyed.