Many professional football teams have found that they are be

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Many professional football teams have found that they are better served by selecting linemen in the college draft instead of selecting skill position players, such as wide receivers and quarterbacks, who tend to demand higher salaries and who take longer to develop into quality players at the professional level.

(A) they are better served by selecting linemen in the college draft instead of selecting
(B) selecting linemen in the college draft better serves them than the selection of
(C) they are better served by selecting linemen in the college draft rather than by selecting
(D) the selection of linemen is better than
(E) they are better served by selecting linemen in the college draft than by selecting

Need assistance with above problem.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:05 pm
alanforde800Maximus wrote:Many professional football teams have found that they are better served by selecting linemen in the college draft instead of selecting skill position players, such as wide receivers and quarterbacks, who tend to demand higher salaries and who take longer to develop into quality players at the professional level.

(A) they are better served by selecting linemen in the college draft instead of selecting
(B) selecting linemen in the college draft better serves them than the selection of
(C) they are better served by selecting linemen in the college draft rather than by selecting
(D) the selection of linemen is better than
(E) they are better served by selecting linemen in the college draft than by selecting

Need assistance with above problem.
In A, better...instead of is unidiomatic.
Correct: better than.
Eliminate A.

Only PARALLEL FORMS may be compared.
B: selecting linemen...better serves them than the selection of skill position players
Here, selecting linemen (VERBing + direct object) and the selection of skill position players (NOUN + prepositional modifier) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate B.

C: better...rather than
Here, better and rather are redundant.
Eliminate C.

D: the selection...is better than...players
Here, THE SELECTION is illogically compared to PLAYERS.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3