many of them or many of whom

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

many of them or many of whom

by its_me07 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:06 pm
In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.
(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: many of them or many of whom

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:08 pm
its_me07 wrote:In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.
(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
"Them" could refer to the fields or the workers. "Whom" must refer to people, so is unambiguous: choose (b).

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by graj » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:39 pm
I got a doubt over choosing option "b". As the "surround" is used for green fields(plural), but option b suggest to use surrounds...that seems problematic ..Could anybdy plz explain it??

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:19 pm
graj wrote:I got a doubt over choosing option "b". As the "surround" is used for green fields(plural), but option b suggest to use surrounds...that seems problematic ..Could anybdy plz explain it??
The subject of the sentence is "patchwork", not "green fields". Whenever there's an "of" in the subject, you can generally ignore everything attached to it.

So, the sentence really reads:

"The patchwork... surrounds..."

which is gramatically correct.

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760
OA is 'A'

I selected 'B' .I feel that OA can not be wrong.

Any suggestions ? :roll:

by chidcguy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:25 pm
Subject is patchwork and not green fields

Of signals the start of middleman.

Patch work is singular and needs a singular verb surrounds

A C D are out

Between B & E, B is clear. In E many does not have a clear antecedent.

Why do you think the OA cannot be wrong? Is this a Q from an old Paper based test?
Please do not post answer along with the Question you post/ask

Let people discuss the Questions with out seeing answers.

by ildude02 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:00 am
I agreee with you that Patchwork is a the subject here and is singular. But I see the plural verb "sorround" instead of singular verb "sorrounds" referring to pathwork. It doesn't make sense, unless the sentence is not printed properly or I'm missing something. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
graj wrote:I got a doubt over choosing option "b". As the "surround" is used for green fields(plural), but option b suggest to use surrounds...that seems problematic ..Could anybdy plz explain it??
The subject of the sentence is "patchwork", not "green fields". Whenever there's an "of" in the subject, you can generally ignore everything attached to it.

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:06 pm
ildude02 wrote:I agreee with you that Patchwork is a the subject here and is singular. But I see the plural verb "sorround" instead of singular verb "sorrounds" referring to pathwork. It doesn't make sense, unless the sentence is not printed properly or I'm missing something. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:

(b) is definitely grammatically correct, (a) isn't - not sure what else I can say except that the "official" answer must be wrong. No one has even posted the source - many "free" questions you can download on the net are worth exactly what you paid for them!

by kirube » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:58 am
In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

I agree with stuart ~
Here's my version -
patch work is singular, so requires a singular verb - as per this rule, we can eliminate A, C and D.

'many of whom' in the option B only clearly refers to the farmers. SO B is the right choice.

by mynhauzen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:47 am
"In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the"

the word that changes surrounds >> surround, so B and C cannot be right. But Im not sure about A answer

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:34 pm
I marked A only.

Here goes my explanation..
Stuart, please correct me where ever I am wrong.

the patchwork of green fields that surround / surrounds
here
that is referring to green fields
hence we need surround and not surrounds
Eliminated B and E

ACD
bustle / bustles with farm workers
Now the subject is the patchwork
so bustle is wrong.
Eliminated D

AC
many of them / many of who are
A is looking better to me.

Stuart, Please tell me is who are incorrect?
If I apply he / him rule
He is in the area just for the season
or
Him in the area just for the season

so he is correct hence, who is correct.
is it so???

Thanks

Followed by:2 members

by schumi_gmat » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:08 pm
Stuart's reasoning is flawless.

Ans should be B.

one more reason to elim A is the verb are missing in the modifier.

farm workers are object hence whom should be used and not who

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:20 pm
One more vote for B) .

A) cant be correct beacuse patchwork surrounds and not patchwork surround

Like Stuart pointed out the preposition whom can refer only to farmers(unambigous)

The error in the choices are most likely (not always) to coccur in the begginning or the end of the sentence

Thoughts??

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:48 pm
Look who is in the houze!!

CRAMYA!!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Legendary Member

by vishubn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:02 pm
the patchwork of green fields that surround / surrounds
here
that is referring to green fields
hence we need surround and not surrounds
Eliminated B and E
STOP, that is referrign to patchwork and not green fields !

patchwork of green frields !! so mai nsub is patchwork and not greeen fields ! so which makes it singular !! and instead of B and E we elliminate A,C and E

so b and E easy ellimination with E and B is the OA

Vishu
KILL !! DIE !! or BEAT my FEAR !!! de@D END!!