Manhattan GMAT SC Guide: Problem Set on Pronouns

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
The following sentences have pronoun problems, MGMAT SC book doesn't have detail explanations.
I appreciate if someone can provide detail explanations

2. Kathy's suitcase was so stuffed that she decided to pack another one

4. The players' helmets need to be repaired so that they will be ready to be used at practise on sunday

6. some people believe that the benefits of a healthy diet outweigh that of regular exercise

7. we finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store, which we thought would complement our living room furniture

8. At the end of the day, the chaperones took the fourth graders back to school, who were exhausted from running after the children.

11. we finally returned all the books to the library, which we left at the front desk

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
2.&4. - an objective pronoun cannot refer back to a possessive noun
6. benefits is plural, 'that' should be 'those'
7. 'which' appears to modify 'store' - it should modify 'coffee table'
8. same problem as in 7. - 'who' appears to modify 'school'
11. again, 'which' appears to modify 'library' when it should modify 'books'
rahul810 wrote:The following sentences have pronoun problems, MGMAT SC book doesn't have detail explanations.
I appreciate if someone can provide detail explanations

2. Kathy's suitcase was so stuffed that she decided to pack another one

4. The players' helmets need to be repaired so that they will be ready to be used at practise on sunday

6. some people believe that the benefits of a healthy diet outweigh that of regular exercise

7. we finally chose the coffee table towards the back of the store, which we thought would complement our living room furniture

8. At the end of the day, the chaperones took the fourth graders back to school, who were exhausted from running after the children.

11. we finally returned all the books to the library, which we left at the front desk

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sankruth » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:34 am
#4 - I feel they refers correctly to helmets and not player's, because to refer to player's one must use their.

...or am i missing something?