Manhattan GMAT CAT score was way off

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Manhattan GMAT CAT score was way off

by cunningo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:21 am
So I had been studying for the GMAT with Manhattan GMAT's materials and practice tests and I was consistently scoring in the 72-79th percentile on the CATs.

I just took the GMAT yesterday though, and I ended up in the 48th percentile. I didn't feel terrible about the test either and I'm wondering how my result was so much different than the CATs.

Did I just bomb the section on the real test? My verbal score on the test was close to what I'd done on the CATs.

On top of all of that, this is my second time taking the GMAT and my actual score went down from last time, by about 10% points in Math, and 3 in Verbal.

Would love to hear some thoughts.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:10 am
Hi cunningo,

I'm sorry to hear that you did not perform as well as you had expected on the real test. Many factors can contribute to score discrepancies between practice tests and a real GMAT exam, including the number of times you've taken our practice exams, the circumstances under which you took the practice tests, and most crucially, whether you suffered from test anxiety the day of the test or not.
Here is an article about ways to manage GMAT stress:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/stress-tips.cfm

At this step, what I'd recommend doing is sending me an e-mail at [email protected] so I can take a better look at your account and set you up with advice more suited to your particular situation.

I hope to hear from you soon!

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628