Low GMAT score

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Low GMAT score

by sarah_n78 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Hello,

I opted for Kaplan one-on-one coaching.
I scored 510 in the diagnostic test and 580, 610, 530 in subsequent tests.

In the UPT, I scored 530.

But in the actual GMAT I scored a miserable 460 :-(

I'm really disheartened. I aimed for 630 - to 650. What should I do now ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:200

by JasLamba » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:33 pm
Keep trying or call it quits.

Keep trying - read through the forum, analyze questions more carefully, take more practice exams, do more questions, repeat questions, review questions, go back through the fundamentals of math and grammar, practice timing more, read debriefs to see how others did it, take another course, take a personal tutor.

Call it quits - self-explanatory.

Edit: Whoops, I didn't realize you posted on the Kaplan forum, I am not a Kaplan representative so just trying to give you a third party viewpoint. Take it for what its worth.

Good luck,
Jas

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:59 pm
No problem, JasLamba, your advice is appreciated. But I'll take it from here if you don't mind! ;-)

First, sarah, remember that you've got the Higher Score Guarantee. Assuming you've completed your assignments given to you by your tutor, you can repeat the Kaplan course, free of charge. Furthermore, since you were working with a Kaplan tutor, you can purchase additional hours at a discounted HSG rate.

When you're working to re-take the test, my advice is to specifically focus on test-day stress. A result 50 points below your diag, and 150 below your high score can't be explained by bad luck and tough questions alone. Something went wrong--and your Kaplan tutor will be able to deconstruct your test-day experience, figure out exactly what went wrong, and iron it out so you won't have to worry about it again!

I wish you the best of luck in your continuing presentation, and feel free to ask me any other questions that can help lead to your test-day success.
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage