Low GMAT, Opt for GRE?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Low GMAT, Opt for GRE?

by Sim84 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:38 pm
Hi - I am applying for the PT MBA programs at Booth & Kelloggs for Fall'14. I have 8+ yrs of experience with a fast-track management career, extensive volunteering & leadership experiences and strong recommendations. I believe my essays are reflective of my rounded profile but I had a glitch with GMAT. I recently took the test (1st attempt), was too stressed and got a migraine attack during the exam. I scored a low 460 (my practice tests were in the range of 640-670). I did not want to cancel it and hence the score got reported to the b-schools.

I am now planning to take the GRE and hopefully get a decent score that I can use in my applications for the Part Time MBA.

The question is - now that the low GMAT score got reported, should I request the schools to ignore that score and consider the GRE one I submit with my application? Or will the schools just take the score that is part of my application irrespective of what is officially reported by GMAC or ETS?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:58 am
Hi Sim48,

Thank you for your post!

I'm sorry you had a tough time during the GMAT. As the adcoms will reference your report once you submit your applications, you cannot ask them to "ignore" your score. Instead, you'll want to take advantage of the optional essay to explain the circumstances on the test day and cite evidence of how this initial score does not accurately reflect your abilities. Would you be able to take the GMAT again? A better, less-stressed score would certainly help your profile. Overall, it would be ideal to submit an improved score on either the GMAT or GRE.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.