Low GMAT but high GPA

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Low GMAT but high GPA

by H2O » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:31 pm
Hi Stacy,

I just took my GMAT and scored a 610. I was studying for this test for over 6 months so I was disapointed with my score. I did very well on the verbal section (90th percentile) but very poorly on the quantitative section (36th percentile). I have never done well in the quantitative section on any standardized test. But I had good grades in business math during my undergrand. My overall undergrad GPA was over 3.7. When schools look at your GMAT, do they look at the overall score more than one particular section? I would like to apply to UC Berkeley, which is not a top 5 school, but is a top 10 school.

Thank you for your advice!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:54 pm
Dear H2O,

Schools look at the total score, but they do scrutinize how you do on the individual sections, especially the quantitative section. It is helpful that you did well in your business math course, but that is not enough to make the admissions committee comfortable with your quantitative aptitude. I strongly encourage you to retake the test to increase your total score, but mainly to improve your quantitative score. UC Berkeley is highly competitive and I just don't think your GMAT is strong enough at a 610.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me