Labor market

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Labor market

by hey_thr67 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 am
During the past decade, the labor market in France has not been operating according to free market principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers.

A: principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers
B: principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers
C: principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing
D: principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled
E: principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

OA is E.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between that+ .. and -ing+ construction to modify any noun ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 am
Narrowing the choices to B and E, I chose B for parallelism. Can someone explain why B is wrong?

[spoiler]Also, is it grammatically correct to say, During the past decade, ... its functioning has been stifled?[/spoiler]
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 am
Nevermind, got it. Instead can't connect two independent clasuses. Thanks for posting the question.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)