Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Labor market

This topic has 2 member replies
hey_thr67 Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
Posted:
299 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Labor market Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:23 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    During the past decade, the labor market in France has not been operating according to free market principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers.

A: principles, but instead stifling functioning through its various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers
    B: principles, instead it has been functioning in a stifled manner as a result of various government regulations that restrict the hiring and firing of workers
    C: principles, rather functioning despite being stifled as a result of government regulations that variously restrict worker hiring and firing
    D: principles; the hiring and firing of workers is restricted there by various government regulations, its functioning being stifled
    E: principles; instead, its functioning has been stifled by various government regulations restricting the hiring and firing of workers

OA is E.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between that+ .. and -ing+ construction to modify any noun ?

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    vk_vinayak GMAT Destroyer!
    Posted:
    502 messages
    Followed by:
    20 members
    Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 am
    Narrowing the choices to B and E, I chose B for parallelism. Can someone explain why B is wrong?

Also, is it grammatically correct to say, During the past decade, ... its functioning has been stifled?

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

vk_vinayak GMAT Destroyer!
    Posted:
    502 messages
    Followed by:
    20 members
    Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 am
    Nevermind, got it. Instead can't connect two independent clasuses. Thanks for posting the question.

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Best Conversation Starters

1 melanie.espeland 27 topics
    2 aditya8062 19 topics
    3 Rastis 14 topics
    4 chacha0212 13 topics
    5 yadu9991 12 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

112 posts