LA

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:27 pm
avik.ch wrote:
KapTeacherEli wrote:
The specific usage here is idiomatic and doesn't strictly follow this rules, but if you paraphrase "within 20 years" as "before the passage of 20 years," it becomes clear.

(Past)
Had made this boast reality _______________Twenty years passed _________________Today __________Tomorrow (Future)

Can you please throw some more light on this usage - with example.
The bus arrived at 3:30, but I had arrived at the stop at 3:10.

(My arrival occurred in the past before the bus arrived.)

Many people incorrectly blame Company X for the corrupt accounting that had been industry standard for years before X's founding.

(The corrupt practices were the industry standard in the past before people began to blame company X)

Hope these help!

Eli
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 am
I think i am getting the meaning. Is it that SFs mocked the claim and within 20 years of that municipal made this claim into reality although municipal expected it to take 20 years
KapTeacherEli wrote:
3) How "will" shows desire here, in that shouldn't it have been "Municipality's will"
The original sentence read, "Municipal will." Municipal is an adjective modifying the noun "will," and the noun "will" means "desire" or "drive."
If Municipal is an adjective then Powerful should not be used as Powerful is an adjective and cannot modify another adjective. We need an adverb for that. And if "Powerful Municipal" is an adjective and modifying noun "will" then "Power Municipal's" should be used to avoid confusion.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:13 am
vikram4689 wrote:i saw there is some confusion regarding this question and some say that correct question is below and OA is A. I have sent a PM to RON to share his views

San Franciscans of the 1890's mocked the claim that declared Los Angeles a world city, yet within 20 years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality.
1. yet within 20 years a powerful municipal will had made this boast a reality.
2. yet within 20 years a powerful municipal will made this boast a reality.
3. yet a powerful municipal within 20 years will make this boast a reality.
4. yet this boast had become a reality within 20 years because of a powerful will municipally
5. yet within 20 years a municipal will had made this boast a powerful reality.
this is not a good question. two of the answer choices (#1 and #2) are perfectly good, and a third (#5) is different in a way that's not "wrong enough" to be wrong on the real test.

1 vs. 2 -- in this particular context, either the past or the past perfect is legitimate. the simple past treats the event described simply as an event on a historical timeline; the past perfect emphasizes its completion (i.e., emphasizes the state of affairs after LA had become a true world city.)

1/2 vs. 5 -- there's a difference in meaning: in the first two, the municipal will of los angeles is described as "powerful", while in #5 the reality of the situation itself is described that way.
the problem is that both of these interpretations actually make sense. generally, when official problems have changes in meaning, the wrong answer will have a meaning that doesn't make sense in the given context.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:18 am
avik.ch --

1/
avik.ch wrote:There is another version of this same question : "will had" in A. I am not quiet sure of this form - never heard of it.The past form of "will have" is "would have" ------- I dont know what is "will had"? As the past form of "may have" is "might have" and not "may had" - always the first word of the verb takes the tense form - then rest remains in its base form.
in these sentences, "will" is not a helping verb; it's a NOUN that means, roughly, "a strong desire and ambition".
"municipal" is an adjective (meaning, roughly, "of the city").
so, "a strong municipal will had made..." = NOUN had made...
"a strong municipal will made..." = NOUN made...

2/
as far as the past perfect vs. past issue --

READ THIS WARNING FIRST

----

** WARNING **
for non-native speakers of english (as well as every other language in the world -- this is not a unique feature of english), verb tenses are MUCH harder than any other aspect of the language.
in fact, it's almost impossible for any non-native speaker of any language to master verb tenses fully and completely. even when an intelligent speaker has been using his or her second language exclusively for decades, he or she will still routinely make verb-tense errors.

therefore:
DO NOT study verb tense until you have 100% MASTERED the other MAJOR sc topics.
* parallelism
* pronoun use
* subject-verb agreement
* modifier placement
if you cannot identify these error types literally one hundred percent of the time, then do not study other error types -- especially verb tense (which should be the absolute bottom priority for non-native speakers) -- until you can.

----

READ THIS SECOND, for a more general treatment of the perfect tenses

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... tml#p58397
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron