Kindly evaluate and suggest

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kindly evaluate and suggest

by gmat82 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:43 am
I wanted to share brief about my profile and will appreciate if I can get some inputs-

1.Education:-
B.Tech(I.T) Honors from top engineering college with 9.1/10 CGPI(=3.64/4.0) and among top students.
2)GMAT:- Got score of Maths-49 and verbal-31 in both the attempts in GMAT though I was expecting a score of 750+ but still dont know where it all went wrong second time.(score:-660,650,4.5 AWA)

3)Work experience:- 4+ years of experience in telecom companies.(2.5 yrs in top telecom giant and 1.5 yrs in US based telecom consulting Startup).Will be 5+ at time of joining in 2009.

4)International exposure:-

- Involved in Live-Field customer support at Alcatel-Lucent, Germany which helped in polishing soft-skills and technical knowledge.

- Involved in technical discussions and customer interaction in Austin-US, which provided good exposure to managerial and interpersonal skills.

5) Innovation:-

-Started an innovative product firm in 2006.

6)Extracurricular:-

-Started and managed cultural fests across the company as part of Out-of-box-club.

-Founder of technical discussion forum(The R&D Forum) in current company.

I have decided to apply in following schools:-

1.Maryland Smith

2.Rotman

3.UT-Austin

4.Indiana-Kelley

5.Oxford

6.UNC kenan flagler

7.Rochester-Simon

8.Cornell-Johnson

9.Penn State-smeal

1.Please provide me some inputs on whether my list seems fine and what all colleges are in safe/ambitious/moderate lists.
2.If a candidate app in bschool in ,say round 1 and notify school of last gmat score/s and "after notification and before deadline" gives gmat again,then is it upto the candidate to notify the school again?

Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:08 pm
I think Cornell and (possible) UT might be a stretch. Other schools should be in your range.

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:42 pm
In regards to retaking the GMAT, you can list up to 5 schools when you take the test and your scores will be sent to them. However, it would also be a good idea to let the Admissions Comm know you have updated scores on the way.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gmat82 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 am
VP_MBA_Guru wrote:I think Cornell and (possible) UT might be a stretch. Other schools should be in your range.

NP
Hi Nikhil,
Thanks a lot for reply.
I think you mean that others are moderate schools except Cornell And UT.Are following schools considered safe(chances>moderate) for me?
1.Michigan broad
2.Rice
3.Penn state-smeal
4.Mays TAMU
5.UIUC

Thanks.

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:30 pm
Hi -
I am not too familiar with those schools, but from your profile, you should be competitive for those programs.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep