Kaplan Test RC Passages

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Kaplan Test RC Passages

by san2009 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:45 am
Is it just me or are the Kaplan CAT RC passages insanely difficult?
Pls share. thx

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:62 members

by KapTeacherEli » Wed May 26, 2010 1:24 pm
Hi San,

Like all aspects of our CATs, our Reading Comprehensive passages are constantly reviewed to ensure that they reflect both the content and the difficulty level of the actual GMAT. If our passages seem difficult, there are a few explanations. First, are you taking notes based on context cues in the passage? Using keywords and organization to summarize the author's main idea can make a given passage much easier. Second, are you spending more time focusing your studies on CR and SC than on reading? The entire verbal section is adaptive, so if you are struggling with Reading Comprehension in particular, it may indicate that your accuracy on the other two verbal question types is pulling the overall difficulty of the verbal section up to a level where the passages are a challenge.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Eli Meyer
Kaplan GMAT Teacher
Cambridge, MA
www.kaptest.com/gmat

ImageImageImage

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by san2009 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:14 pm
Thanks for sharing your perspective.

I've done some LSAT passages as well, and those are supposed to be tougher than the actual passages that appear on GMAT. Evidence of that are the passages given in the OGs. I found the Kaplan prepTest RC passage harder than even the LSAT passages I've attempted.

Will post more feedback after second Kaplan prepTest if the trend persists.

Thx again