Kaplan online test

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kaplan online test

by JulesG » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:37 am
Is the online Kaplan test a CAT? I just took it (I use the Kaplan Premier Program 2009 if that matters) and I was surprised the different question types weren't mixed - that PS came first, then DS, and the same in verbal. As I rarely make mistakes on RC questions, and most of my mistakes in verbal are in SC, wouldn't the score be more accurate if I didn't get all the SC questions first?

Otherwise I thought the questions given were good. I scored a 670, and was sort of disappointed when I realized Kaplan scores no longer are lower than actual GMAT scores... :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 pm
Hi Jules G--

Can you specifiy exactly what test you are referring to, so we can be sure to give you the best answer? We have several online tests and CATs, as well as the CDROM option. But the test you describe which grouped all q's from a particular type does not sound like a CAT.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

I agree

by wavesandwaves » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:05 pm
Yeah, the online practice GMAT on the Kaplan website felt a little... well, easy. NOT the diagnostic one -- it was a full-length, but oddly enough the questions were not mixed up. So it'd be like 20 problem solving, then 17 DS, then 20 SC, then 12 CR, then the rest were RC.

I got a 620. Which is, ahem... well, here are my past scores:

PR CAT 1: 560
PR CAT 2: 590
Veritas Prep: 610
PowerPrep CAT1 : 590
GMAT Prep CAT1: 630
PowerPrep CAT2: 590

I mean, it falls within the range, but Kaplan tests are normally a little harder, right?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by vidabella417 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:33 am
Kaplan's classroom CATs are definitely not "harder" than actual GMAT tests. In fact, they are continually assessed and updated to ensure validity and accuracy, which means that practice test scores from classroom CATs are a very good indicator of your actual GMAT score level. Also, the correlations between highest Kaplan CAT score and the actual GMAT score are extremely strong.

The CATs on our retail CD have a different scoring algorithm than the classroom CATs, but not because the tests are "harder." Back when the GMAT went from a paper-based test to a computer-adaptive test (CAT), the Kaplan folks who created the CD CATs chose to err on the safe side, and set the curve for the scores lower to avoid having students going in on Test Day and receiving an unexpectedly low score. Therefore, it is well-known to business school applicants that those using Kaplan CD should expect to go up 70 - 100 points from their CD scores on Test Day. You could possibly read as much on this blog and other GMAT blogs.

That being said, I am as stumped as my colleague about the tests with the order of the questions as you describe. But since you have the 2009 edition, I would recommend taking one of the 4 other additional CATs that came with your companion. Those CATs are aligned with our classroom course CATs, and will give you the best indication of where you currently stand with your prep and target score.

I hope this has been helpful, and I wish you the best of luck on your exam!

Sincerely,

Monica P. Lugo
Editor - Kaplan Publishing

--

We build futures one success story at a time. Visit us at www.kaplanpublishing.com