Kaplan GMAT800 math difficulty level

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kaplan GMAT800 math difficulty level

by johnq » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:32 pm
Hello all,

my question is quite simple: how does the difficulty of the math problems in the Kaplan GMAT800 compare to the questions you have encountered on the day of the test?

I bought this book because of its reputation, having more challenging problems than most, if not all, other books. I did the math portion of the book and I only made one careless mistake. Given the fact that I was math major in college probably helped me a lot, but I still wonder what you guys think. Is it really true that if you do well on the GMAT800 book, you are virtually guaranteed to do extremely well on the GMAT? I ask this because I need AT LEAST a 700 on it.

Thanks a lot!!!
This is an absolutely amazing site

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Kaplan GMAT800 math difficulty level

by beatthegmat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:53 pm
johnq wrote:Hello all,

my question is quite simple: how does the difficulty of the math problems in the Kaplan GMAT800 compare to the questions you have encountered on the day of the test?

I bought this book because of its reputation, having more challenging problems than most, if not all, other books. I did the math portion of the book and I only made one careless mistake. Given the fact that I was math major in college probably helped me a lot, but I still wonder what you guys think. Is it really true that if you do well on the GMAT800 book, you are virtually guaranteed to do extremely well on the GMAT? I ask this because I need AT LEAST a 700 on it.

Thanks a lot!!!
This is an absolutely amazing site
The math questions I encountered in Kaplan GMAT 800 were much harder than the ones I found on my actual GMAT. This books has great lessions and practice questions for folks who are vying to score 700+.

That being said, you should not assume that doing well in the GMAT 800 book will guarantee a great math score on the actual GMAT. GMAT 800 focuses on only the toughest questions that can be found on the GMAT. These questions, for the most part, are rarely seen on the test. You need to have a good, basic foundation in the core subjects of GMAT math (arithmetic, algebra, geometry, etc.) first and foremost to do well in the math section.

So use this book for practice, but don't neglect the basics of GMAT math.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_enthus » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:53 am
I agree, Kaplan questions are much tougher than the actual questions seen on the GMAT test.

The scores on Kaplan tests are also not at all reflective of the actual score.

But if you are already scoring 47-49 on GMATPrep Math, these questions will be a great practice to get to a score of around 50 in the actual exam.
My 760 | GMAT Preparation Suggestion

destination 760! completed!