Kaplan CAT Score Interpretation - Inconsistent?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi,

I just took my third CAT and the score I see seems inconsistent but I am not sure, so I ask for your gentle help. According to my individual section scores (Q47, V29) I hoped to see ~630, but I receive a 610. Is this correct? I know that the calculation varies from time to time, but from several sources the 610 is incorrect. Can you please explain me if I am not correct and why?

Thanks in advance,
Fernando
Attachments
Untitled.png

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:32 pm
Hi Fernando,

On the Official GMAT, a Q47/V29 would probably be a 620 or 630, but minor "curves" in scoring are known to happen. One of the reasons why your GMAT score report includes the Scaled Scores is so Business Schools can see ALL of the data (and make their own evaluations of your performance based on that data).

If this practice CAT "underscored" you by a little bit, then that's not really a problem - you know that it's not the real GMAT and you already appear to know (probably from looking at a "scoring table") that the result is underscored. On Test Day, there might be a tiny curve, but your score will be correct (and it will be the score that you EARNED). The more important issue is "when you got questions wrong, was it for a silly/little reason?" Your score will improve once you fix THAT problem.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]