K ...! guys I got it now 86% in RC !! ( read this PLZ )

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi guys,
I started getting in RC 33%.. timed with s 1.75 / question..
than I stop running with this score ( I was studying the OG ), and I went to the GMAT flash card done by eric.. I read the RC tips my score doubled
to 67 %.. and just after 86 %.
here are my Own Tips ( of course I got them from Eric):
1- Intelligent SKIM : Read the startings of all paragraphs first ( fast ), and then start reading the all the text ===> this will give U a briefe Idea about it first and then you gonna go in details!
2- Use intelligent Guess : first U have to Know that getting all the question : CORRECT is impossible + U have to admit that time is running ! ===> so use the flash card and U will find how to guess !
3- Attack the question right a way: Yeah.. put on Ur mind that U have to attack them
4- Have FUN : Its' important that U have it. if not believe me guys ... U cannot beat them ! take it as a funny challange or funny game that U wann really get it !

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by marouan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:45 am
Here are my notes by tackling my mistakes:
Score 33 % == >Conclusion (1): I get the author main prupouse
+suggestions + I can get an other point applying elimination strategy
score 66% ==> Conclusion(2): by applying conclusion (1) + a FAST SKIM : it was Good,
but out of time by 2 min. try to work on time now.

Score 86 % ===> Conclusion 3: Now we have to do more practice !!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by poonam1279 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:36 am
Hi marouan,
I have the same issue with RC's. Can you please give a link to the information relating to Eric's flashcards. I do not know about this. Any link to it will be helpful. Thanks for your valuable tips.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Method I used. I went from 25% to 71%

by vbcannon » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:28 pm
I started doing RC's last night and I was doing the Kaplan method of paraphrasing every paragraph. It took time and I didn't stay focused. Then I decided that at the start of every RC passage, I would read the first question (which is usually a "what is the primary purpose" question), then I would read each choice carefully so that when I started reading the passage something would jump out at me (hopefully) and it usually did.

When I was using the paraphrasing method by Kaplan I got 3 of 12 correct.

When I read the first question and its choices first, then speed read through the passage, I was able to skim for the first questions answer and surprisingly I was able to usually go back and quickly locate the other question's answer's. While using this method I was able to raise my accuracy and speed dramatically. I did 38 more problems after the original 12 and I got 27 out of 38 correct (71%) as opposed to the 3 of 12 or (25%).

Please don't think I am bashing the Kaplan method, I am just saying that I found a way that worked very well with me and wanted to share it so that maybe someone else could possible benefit from it.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Natalllllia » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 pm
poonam1279 wrote:Hi marouan,
I have the same issue with RC's. Can you please give a link to the information relating to Eric's flashcards. I do not know about this. Any link to it will be helpful. Thanks for your valuable tips.
Eric's Approach for Reading Comprehension
A small post that provides an overview of Eric's personal approach to attacking RC questions.

https://beatthegmat.blocked/2005/06 ... re-rc.html