• Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep

Just staring out, need input on study plan

This topic has 4 expert replies and 2 member replies
tittoo Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
17 Mar 2017
Posted:
5 messages

Just staring out, need input on study plan

Post Mon May 29, 2017 2:48 pm
Hi everyone,

I am just starting out with my GMAT studying.

I took the MGMAT CAT 1 this weekend, without any studying.
I completed all sections: Essay, IR, Quant and Verbal

Scores:
IR 2.4
Q38
V34
Overall 590

My experience from the initial practice test:

- timing was not an issue for me. I completed all sections well ahead of time. I had 10 minutes left on quant, 20 minutes left on verbal when I finished.

- stamina was also not an issue for me. I could comfortably sit for that amount of time and take the test without any problems.

- I felt comfortable with the verbal section but definitely need to practice more

- Quant and IR were difficult. I felt like I was guessing on a lot of the questions. I have a science background so I am definitely disappointed in my initial quant score Sad

I am planning to take the GMAT in mid August, and my goal is 700+.
I need to clear at least 90th percentile on quant and 70th percentile on verbal, with overall minimum score of 700+ to get into my desired graduate program.

I have the official guides, and Manhattan Guides book set.

How should I structure my studying to achieve my goals? I can devote 3-4 evenings on weekdays and all weekends to studying.
Are there any other books or resources I should get for my studying?

I look forward to your input.

Thanks!

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
Post Mon May 29, 2017 3:18 pm
tittoo wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am just starting out with my GMAT studying.

I took the MGMAT CAT 1 this weekend, without any studying.
I completed all sections: Essay, IR, Quant and Verbal

Scores:
IR 2.4
Q38
V34
Overall 590

My experience from the initial practice test:

- timing was not an issue for me. I completed all sections well ahead of time. I had 10 minutes left on quant, 20 minutes left on verbal when I finished.

- stamina was also not an issue for me. I could comfortably sit for that amount of time and take the test without any problems.

- I felt comfortable with the verbal section but definitely need to practice more

- Quant and IR were difficult. I felt like I was guessing on a lot of the questions. I have a science background so I am definitely disappointed in my initial quant score Sad

I am planning to take the GMAT in mid August, and my goal is 700+.
I need to clear at least 90th percentile on quant and 70th percentile on verbal, with overall minimum score of 700+ to get into my desired graduate program.

I have the official guides, and Manhattan Guides book set.

How should I structure my studying to achieve my goals? I can devote 3-4 evenings on weekdays and all weekends to studying.
Are there any other books or resources I should get for my studying?

I look forward to your input.

Thanks!
That's a very solid starting point and a reasonable timeframe for your goals. The one additional suggestion I have is to make sure you work in official practice tests from mba.com: http://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/prepare-for-the-gmat-exam/test-prep-materials/free-gmat-prep-software.aspx
Make sure you thoroughly dissect each test once you complete it. Make a list of concrete adjustments you can make before taking the next one. Do some drilling in problem areas. If you want more practice problems for drilling purposes, check out our free question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/gmat-question-bank/

Wash/rinse/repeat until you're exceeding your target score on practice tests.

Keep us posted...

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Post Mon May 29, 2017 3:27 pm
590 is a very solid baseline score - nice work.

Given that you already have the MGMAT books, you might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT’s free 60-Day Study Guide (http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).

Each day, you’ll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent

_________________
Brent Hanneson – Founder of GMATPrepNow.com
Use our video course along with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide

Check out the online reviews of our course
Come see all of our free resources

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
tittoo Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
17 Mar 2017
Posted:
5 messages
Post Tue May 30, 2017 6:44 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
590 is a very solid baseline score - nice work.

Given that you already have the MGMAT books, you might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT’s free 60-Day Study Guide (http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).

Each day, you’ll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Thanks Brent! I just signed up for the emails!

tittoo Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Joined
17 Mar 2017
Posted:
5 messages
Post Tue May 30, 2017 6:46 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
tittoo wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am just starting out with my GMAT studying.

I took the MGMAT CAT 1 this weekend, without any studying.
I completed all sections: Essay, IR, Quant and Verbal

Scores:
IR 2.4
Q38
V34
Overall 590

My experience from the initial practice test:

- timing was not an issue for me. I completed all sections well ahead of time. I had 10 minutes left on quant, 20 minutes left on verbal when I finished.

- stamina was also not an issue for me. I could comfortably sit for that amount of time and take the test without any problems.

- I felt comfortable with the verbal section but definitely need to practice more

- Quant and IR were difficult. I felt like I was guessing on a lot of the questions. I have a science background so I am definitely disappointed in my initial quant score Sad

I am planning to take the GMAT in mid August, and my goal is 700+.
I need to clear at least 90th percentile on quant and 70th percentile on verbal, with overall minimum score of 700+ to get into my desired graduate program.

I have the official guides, and Manhattan Guides book set.

How should I structure my studying to achieve my goals? I can devote 3-4 evenings on weekdays and all weekends to studying.
Are there any other books or resources I should get for my studying?

I look forward to your input.

Thanks!
That's a very solid starting point and a reasonable timeframe for your goals. The one additional suggestion I have is to make sure you work in official practice tests from mba.com: http://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/prepare-for-the-gmat-exam/test-prep-materials/free-gmat-prep-software.aspx
Make sure you thoroughly dissect each test once you complete it. Make a list of concrete adjustments you can make before taking the next one. Do some drilling in problem areas. If you want more practice problems for drilling purposes, check out our free question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/gmat-question-bank/

Wash/rinse/repeat until you're exceeding your target score on practice tests.

Keep us posted...
Thanks David! I will definitely do the CATS from mba.com and start working through the official guides once I have done some studying with the Manhattan Guides.

I will keep you posted.

Post Tue May 30, 2017 8:01 am
tittoo wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
tittoo wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am just starting out with my GMAT studying.

I took the MGMAT CAT 1 this weekend, without any studying.
I completed all sections: Essay, IR, Quant and Verbal

Scores:
IR 2.4
Q38
V34
Overall 590

My experience from the initial practice test:

- timing was not an issue for me. I completed all sections well ahead of time. I had 10 minutes left on quant, 20 minutes left on verbal when I finished.

- stamina was also not an issue for me. I could comfortably sit for that amount of time and take the test without any problems.

- I felt comfortable with the verbal section but definitely need to practice more

- Quant and IR were difficult. I felt like I was guessing on a lot of the questions. I have a science background so I am definitely disappointed in my initial quant score Sad

I am planning to take the GMAT in mid August, and my goal is 700+.
I need to clear at least 90th percentile on quant and 70th percentile on verbal, with overall minimum score of 700+ to get into my desired graduate program.

I have the official guides, and Manhattan Guides book set.

How should I structure my studying to achieve my goals? I can devote 3-4 evenings on weekdays and all weekends to studying.
Are there any other books or resources I should get for my studying?

I look forward to your input.

Thanks!
That's a very solid starting point and a reasonable timeframe for your goals. The one additional suggestion I have is to make sure you work in official practice tests from mba.com: http://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/prepare-for-the-gmat-exam/test-prep-materials/free-gmat-prep-software.aspx
Make sure you thoroughly dissect each test once you complete it. Make a list of concrete adjustments you can make before taking the next one. Do some drilling in problem areas. If you want more practice problems for drilling purposes, check out our free question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/gmat-question-bank/

Wash/rinse/repeat until you're exceeding your target score on practice tests.

Keep us posted...
Thanks David! I will definitely do the CATS from mba.com and start working through the official guides once I have done some studying with the Manhattan Guides.

I will keep you posted.
As much as you can, think of the GMAT as a game, and enjoy the ride!

_________________
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Post Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 am
Hi tittoo,

A 590 is a strong 'baseline' score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). In addition, since you 'rushed' through the Quant and Verbal sections, it stands to reason that you could have scored higher IF you had slowed down, taken more notes, been more careful with your work, etc. With a potential mid-August Test Day, you have about 2.5 months of study time, which is good. Now we just need a better sense of whether your current study materials will be enough to get you to your score goal or not. As such, I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 2-3 weeks, then take a new FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections). That score result will help to define how well you're studying, and what adjustments (if any) might be needed.

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) You referred to some rather specific score goals? How do you know that you need to hit those 'minimum' levels? And are you guaranteed anything if you do?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

_________________
Contact Rich at Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 65 topics
3 Roland2rule 49 topics
4 ardz24 40 topics
5 LUANDATO 16 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

146 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

100 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

92 posts
5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

Manhattan Review

79 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts