Journey from 590 to 700 - Reborn

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Journey from 590 to 700 - Reborn

by kherarohan8 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:24 am
Posting my experience in case it helped someone else.

My Background: Commerce major, 4 Year experience

GMAT FIRST ATTEMPT

Materials referred: OG11, OG12, OG13, Various Material, 800 score quant software, power prep software, Princeton test, Veritas Free test, Beat the GMAT questions
Coaching Classes Joined: Yes (Not mentioning the name not to malign any coaching for my bad score)

Score expected -650
Score received: 590 (Q39, V35) - absolutely disappointing

PREPARATION OF SECOND ATTEMPT:

Went home, reviewed everything again in the space of two weeks then decided to take test again. I was confused as to do the prep myself alone or take some help.

I finally decided to take demo classes and then judge if classes were helpful.

Scared of online classes took a demo with GMATinsight, took offline class with Princeton, Pythagurus and Jamboree. I liked the demo class with GMATinsight the most as I was able to do my prep from home and it was saving a lot of my time that I could have used for practice. Secondly I found the pace of the class pretty satisfactory as it was one on one class.

I must say that The mentors (Dr.Sushma Jha and Mr.Bhoopendra Singh) were really good and they helped me with everything I needed. I needed to gain the confidence and figure out where I needed to improve and this is what my mentors helped me with.

While Dr.Sushma Jha was friendly, cheerful, intelligent and passionate mentor, Mr.Bhoopendra had magical ways to crack Maths problems in least time. I was learning the methods of getting the right answers in PS problems and right approach to tackle DS problems. I was weak in Maths that's where I needed the help the most. In the beginning I had trouble pacing myself up with his pace but soon I figured that the only option to improve was to match my speed with his and learn his methods which eventually helped in great way.

After a few classes I could figure out most of the places where I was making mistake primarily in Math and some in Sentence correction. .

MGMAT1 - 500 (Q26, V33)
MGMAT2 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT3 - 680 (Q47, V36)
MGMAT4 - 650 (Q45, V35)
MGMAT5 - 710 (Q47, V41)
GMAT PREP - 1 - 680
GMAT PREP - 1 - 720

I was also concerned about Verbal at the same time but structured practice of Verbal helped me I guess.

GMAT Re-do: 700 (Q48, V39)....and i had to rush the last 10 V questions due to poor timing

Suggestion:

Don't practice just to finish every material cz assessment is important, the ordering of material matters. Don't refrain from taking help when you need. Consistency and appropriate direction to prepare for GMAT are the key.

Last Suggestion!

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SG1492 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:16 am
kherarohan8 wrote:Posting my experience in case it helped someone else.

My Background: Commerce major, 4 Year experience

GMAT FIRST ATTEMPT

Materials referred: OG11, OG12, OG13, Various Material, 800 score quant software, power prep software, Princeton test, Veritas Free test, Beat the GMAT questions
Coaching Classes Joined: Yes (Not mentioning the name not to malign any coaching for my bad score)

Score expected -650
Score received: 590 (Q39, V35) - absolutely disappointing

PREPARATION OF SECOND ATTEMPT:

Went home, reviewed everything again in the space of two weeks then decided to take test again. I was confused as to do the prep myself alone or take some help.

I finally decided to take demo classes and then judge if classes were helpful.

Scared of online classes took a demo with GMATinsight, took offline class with Princeton, Pythagurus and Jamboree. I liked the demo class with GMATinsight the most as I was able to do my prep from home and it was saving a lot of my time that I could have used for practice. Secondly I found the pace of the class pretty satisfactory as it was one on one class.

I must say that The mentors (Dr.Sushma Jha and Mr.Bhoopendra Singh) were really good and they helped me with everything I needed. I needed to gain the confidence and figure out where I needed to improve and this is what my mentors helped me with.

While Dr.Sushma Jha was friendly, cheerful, intelligent and passionate mentor, Mr.Bhoopendra had magical ways to crack Maths problems in least time. I was learning the methods of getting the right answers in PS problems and right approach to tackle DS problems. I was weak in Maths that's where I needed the help the most. In the beginning I had trouble pacing myself up with his pace but soon I figured that the only option to improve was to match my speed with his and learn his methods which eventually helped in great way.

After a few classes I could figure out most of the places where I was making mistake primarily in Math and some in Sentence correction. .

MGMAT1 - 500 (Q26, V33)
MGMAT2 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT3 - 680 (Q47, V36)
MGMAT4 - 650 (Q45, V35)
MGMAT5 - 710 (Q47, V41)
GMAT PREP - 1 - 680
GMAT PREP - 1 - 720

I was also concerned about Verbal at the same time but structured practice of Verbal helped me I guess.

GMAT Re-do: 700 (Q48, V39)....and i had to rush the last 10 V questions due to poor timing

Suggestion:

Don't practice just to finish every material cz assessment is important, the ordering of material matters. Don't refrain from taking help when you need. Consistency and appropriate direction to prepare for GMAT are the key.

Last Suggestion!

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Thank you Rohan for sharing your feedback.

Congrates.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members
GMAT Score:760

by mcdesty » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:19 am
Great job!You just proved that your aspirations are bigger than a minor setback.
I have made your mistakes before.
I am experienced - I have tutored calculus and linear algebra for over two years.
For a very modest fee, I will ensure that your GMAT journey is a smooth one: Daily assignments and careful micro management.
PM me so we can get started.