John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties in his family home, they featured elaborate meals of local fish and lobster, famous guests, and late nights.

(A) John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties in his family home, they featured

(B) Parties were held in one of the most social U.S. president's home, John F. Kennedy, and they featured

(C) John F. Kennedy, who was one of the most social U.S. presidents in his family home, held parties that featured

(D) John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties in his family home that featured

(E) In his family home, John F. Kennedy, one of the most social U.S. presidents, held many parties that featured

Source: Veritas

OA is E

My question is: In option D, cant 'in his family home' be treated as as a prepositional phrase? If yes, isn't the use of 'that' immediately thereafter correct?

Thanks
If you appreciated my post or even just my time trying to help, please don't forget to click on 'Thanks' and say "Piece o' Cake mate" at the same time.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:02 am
jitsy wrote:My question is: In option D, cant 'in his family home' be treated as as a prepositional phrase? If yes, isn't the use of 'that' immediately thereafter correct?
a feature of X = a PART of X.
D: many parties in his family home that featured elaborate meals
Here, that seems to refer to his family home, since a HOME can feature something:
a home that featured wooden floors and marble staircases.
As a result, D seems to imply that HIS FAMILY HOME featured elaborate meals.
Not the intended meaning: MEALS do not constitute part of a house.
Eliminate D.

The intended meaning is that MANY PARTIES featured elaborate meals.
Rule:
A modifier should be AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to what it modifies.
In the OA, that featured immediately follows its intended referent:
many parties that featured elaborate meals
For this reason, the OA is clearly better than D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3