Jazz music

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Jazz music

by cunazza » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:26 am
Many musicologists consider jazz the only purely American form of music. Others, however, argue that jazz is rooted in a history similar to that of America itself, a history of confluence.
The immigration of Europeans and the slave trade of West Africans to America resulted in a convergence of cultures, traditions, and art forms, including music. Jazz, first played in New Orleans in the early 1900s, borrowed heavily from the European musical scale and harmonic system. Jazz ensembles were built predominantly on European instruments, such as the trumpet, trombone, saxophone, and piano. The West African influence on jazz was manifested primarily in its performance. Scatting, a technique used by jazz vocalists to mimic the sounds of instruments, had its origin in West African vocal traditions. The emphasis on improvisation in jazz music, in addition to group participation, also came from West African music.
Proponents of the argument that jazz is purely American often point to its genesis in New Orleans as evidence for this perspective. The irony, however, is that the essence of America lies in the plurality of its roots. To deny the rich and complex history of jazz, and the true origins of the art form, is in effect denying the very aspects of the art form that make it undeniably American.

According to the passage, all of the following statements about jazz music are true EXCEPT:
A) Jazz music was first played in the twentieth century.
B) Jazz music was first played in New Orleans.
C) The instrumentation used in jazz music includes horns as well as stringed instruments.
D) Impromptu elements are a common characteristic of jazz performance.
E) There is disagreement among musicologists as to whether jazz music should be called an American art form.

The OA is E.
But what about C???
If I don't swear, look!
ISNASHI

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by kstv » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:50 am
(C) could not identify any stringed instrument.
(D) feel there is subtle diff. between Impromptu and improvisation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by firdaus117 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:45 am
Jazz, first played in New Orleans in the early 1900s, borrowed heavily from the European musical scale and harmonic system-Option A and B.
Jazz ensembles were built predominantly on European instruments, such as the trumpet, trombone, saxophone, and piano.The first three instruments clearly belong to "horn" family while piano is a "string" instrument as it consists of steel strings.Pressing a key on the piano's keyboard causes a felt covered hammer to strike these steel strings.Hence,option C is also true.
The emphasis on improvisation in jazz music, in addition to group participation, also came from West African music-Option D.I feel improvisation is done on the spot without any rehearsal.
I still can't think of a reason as to why option E is wrong.May be all musicologists consider jazz an american form but not all consider it 'pure' but an american form with influences from other cultures.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by kstv » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:46 am
I quote from OA 12 page 353

"Because the Verbal section includes content from a variety of topics, you may be generally familiar with some of the material; however,neither the passage nor the questions assume knowledge of the topics discussed".
Piano is a string instrument ref. Wikipedia. Visibly or on the surface it does not appear as a string instument atleast not as obvious as say a Guitar.
But facts are facts, so that rules out C.

According to the passage, all of the following statements about jazz music are true EXCEPT:
C) The instrumentation used in jazz music includes horns as well as stringed instruments.
D) Impromptu elements are a common characteristic of jazz performance.
E) There is disagreement among musicologists as to whether jazz music should be called an American art form.

Please see the definition of Improvisation

in www.answers.com/topic/improvisation

Creation of music in real time. Improvisation usually involves some preparation beforehand, particularly when there is more than one performer.

But I still am not able to understand this part
I quote
I still can't think of a reason as to why option E is wrong.May be all musicologists consider jazz an american form but not all consider it 'pure' but an american form with influences from other cultures.

In the passage let me highlight some portions

Many musicologists consider jazz the only purely American form of music. Others, however, b]argue[/b][ that jazz is rooted in a history similar to that of America itself, a history of confluence.

To deny the rich and complex history of jazz, and the true origins of the art form, is in effect denying the very aspects of the art form that make it undeniably American.

The words and phrases - Other, however, argue, deny all point to a disagreement in labelling Jazz unequivocally as American.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 am
C is wrong because a piano is a string instrument. I think this is a question that is a bit unfair, because if you don't know that you may pick C.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.