Jane Austen

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Jane Austen

by j_shreyans » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:31 pm
There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as the novels of James Fenimore cooper

A)There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as

B)In early american literature , nowhere is Jane's Austen influence so apparent than in

C) It is nowhere more apparent in early American literature that Jane Austen was as influence as in

D) Nowhere in early american literature is the influence of Jane Austen more apparent than in

E) Nowhere in early American literature is it more apparent that Jane Austen had an influence than.

OAD

I got my answer right but still i need an explanation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:47 am
j_shreyans wrote:There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as the novels of James Fenimore cooper

A)There is nowhere in early American literature where the influence of Jane Austen is so apparent as

B)In early american literature , nowhere is Jane's Austen influence so apparent than in

C) It is nowhere more apparent in early American literature that Jane Austen was as influence as in

D) Nowhere in early american literature is the influence of Jane Austen more apparent than in

E) Nowhere in early American literature is it more apparent that Jane Austen had an influence than.

OAD
Comparison:
Rock music is more popular in America than [it is popular] anywhere else in the world.
This comparison can be rephrased as follows:
Nowhere in the world is rock music more popular than in America.

Intended comparison in the SC above:
The influence of Jane Austen is more apparent in the novels of James Fenimore Cooper than [it is apparent] anywhere else in early American literature.
This comparison can be rephrased as follows:
Nowhere in early American literature is the influence of Jane Austen more apparent than in the novels of James Fenimore Cooper.

The correct answer is D.

Reason to eliminate:

In A, nowhere and where are redundant.

In B, so apparent than is unidiomatic.

In C, more apparent...as is unidiomatic.

E: more apparent that Jane Austen had an influence than the novels of James Fenimore Cooper
Here, a reader might interpret as follows:
more apparent that Jane Austen had an influence than the novels of James Fenimore Cooper [had an influence].
Not the intended comparison.
The intended meaning is that the influence of Jane Austen is apparent IN the novels of James Fenimore Cooper.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3