ISB Evaluation (Low GMAT)

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

ISB Evaluation (Low GMAT)

by AjitM » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:49 pm
Hi, Please evaluate my profile for ISB 15. I got a very low score in the GMAT verbal and IR section. I cannot re-take GMAT before Nov 25, so please guide me should I apply this year or re-take and apply next year?

GMAT (Q44 V22 IR 1) AWA (awaiting - hoping for 4 or 5)

BE (Civil Engineering) Shivaji University (First Class with Distinction)
MS (Transportation Systems Engineering) USA (GPA: 3.6)
Experience: 5 years in Transportation Planning and Finance in USA (Specialization: Travel Demand Forecasting and Discrete Choice Modeling. Worked on Leading Rail Infrastructure Projects)
1.3 years in Civil (Structural) Engineering in India

Post MBA Goals: Consulting in Infrastructure Investments and Project Finance with the same employer.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:56 pm
Hello

Your GPA seems fine, but your GMAT score is quite low. For ISB, more than verbal and IR, your low quant score will hurt your chances. If you had, lets say 50 or 51, I would have advised you to go ahead and apply but with the current score, your chances will be low. Even a 680 and 690 would have been acceptable, but a 550 is too low for ISB.

That said, GMAT is not the only parameter. Your work experience, achievements, etc also play an important role in the application process. Tell me more about your work experience - the kind of projects you worked on, your performance at the firm, promotions, experience leading teams, awards, etc. Also tell me if you have been part of extracurricular activities at your firm, outside of your firm and during college. Any volunteer work?

My advise is to retake GMAT and apply to business schools in the later cycle. If you are interested in US-Business schools, you could apply in R2. For ISB, applying next year will be a better choice than this year.

Do get back to me with more details of your profile.

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B- School

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:55 am
Hi Ajit,

You should retake GMAT and apply with strong application, your GPA can compensate your GMAT score upto certain extent but still you are short of competitive score. You can plan for retake and start working on application simultaneously, since you have good diverse profile you can still put strong case. Prepare well for your GMAT and also start working on your essays. You can also try your Chances for top B-Schools by clicking here https://goo.gl/XV8WeG

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
AjitM wrote:Hi, Please evaluate my profile for ISB 15. I got a very low score in the GMAT verbal and IR section. I cannot re-take GMAT before Nov 25, so please guide me should I apply this year or re-take and apply next year?

GMAT (Q44 V22 IR 1) AWA (awaiting - hoping for 4 or 5)

BE (Civil Engineering) Shivaji University (First Class with Distinction)
MS (Transportation Systems Engineering) USA (GPA: 3.6)
Experience: 5 years in Transportation Planning and Finance in USA (Specialization: Travel Demand Forecasting and Discrete Choice Modeling. Worked on Leading Rail Infrastructure Projects)
1.3 years in Civil (Structural) Engineering in India

Post MBA Goals: Consulting in Infrastructure Investments and Project Finance with the same employer.