Is the GMAT ruining my relationships?

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

Is the GMAT ruining my relationships?

by dtse86 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:42 pm
I'd just like some personal opinions and perspectives on whether studying for the GMAT has affected the way they interact with people or even compromised their personal relationship with someone?

I have been studying off and on for a year now, but just recently started getting serious about it again. I have been doing a lot of CR and SC practice lately and believe that it has changed the way I even analyze normal conversation. I have started to ask questions and poke holes into people's logic and it seems to have a negative affect on some people.

This has caused some grief in my personal relationship recently and I was wondering if anyone else had or was currently experiencing a similar problem.

This is a bit out there for BTG, but I would greatly appreciate any advice or insight anyone might have on this topic.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:41 pm
Hi dtse86,

The GMAT is designed to test skills and thinking that Business Schools believe to be important to success in Business School and beyond. It's actually a GOOD sign that you're retaining these skills beyond your studies because you're going to use these skills again later on. Unfortunately, you're finding that using these skills in personal situations is causing you some problems. So, the short answer is to STOP using these skills in your personal relationships. As an aside, if people get upset that you're "poking holes" in their illogical arguments, then maybe the problem is that they're illogical people. From my own experience, I can confirm that most people don't enjoy having their grammar corrected, so I have to keep quiet sometimes when having conversations. It's the burden of becoming an expert in these areas.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

by dtse86 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:06 am
Haha. Thanks Rich. I guess I will just have to show some restraint when it comes to pointing out people's miscues and illogical arguments.

After all, being able to work with people and being tactful is probably a good business skill to develop as well.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by KaBie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:55 am
Wow I hope I don't get that analytical about my own relationships and conversations with people when i get into the swing of studying for the GMAT.

Live and learn I suppose.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:25 am
Hi KaBie,

One of the funny things about 'immersion' is that once you're comfortable enough with the material to see the real patterns behind the GMAT, you won't be able to "shut it off." You'll see it in newspaper articles, you'll see it in debates with your friends about the silliest subjects and you'll be sure to see it on Test Day.

Don't fear it, embrace it. You'll use it in Business School and beyond.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by KaBie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:12 am
I see what you mean and actually yes, if I get to the stage where I can't switch it off then I know it's sinking in.
I think I'd find it annoying if my friends started correcting my grammar in our conversations (although I have to say, I do that mentally, in my head all the time) but I quite like having a conversation with someone who questions things, it's more interesting. I suppose it has to be in context though, if you're just talking about which kind of pizza to order I think an in-depth analytical discussion is probably a bit too much :)