Is my work experience enough?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is my work experience enough?

by beginning.grit » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:52 pm
Hello! I'm thinking about going for an MBA in the US in Fall 2015. I live in Bangladesh, and I'm working at an international development organization. I graduated last year, and I've worked for a consumer goods company for 8 months prior to joining my current organization. If I apply for an MBA Program in Fall 2015, then I'll have around 1 year 7 months of full-time work experience (barring internship) by the time I write the essays for the application. Do you think that this brief work experience (coupled with the job switch from consumer goods to development) is enough to get me admitted? I'm aiming for the Top 10 schools, which typically look for candidates with 3-4 years of experience. Can I still get admitted by:

- Showing I've done meaningful work with strong impact in my brief career?
- Making up for the shortfall in work experience through a good GMAT score? (Given my case, what is the minimum GMAT score I should strive for?)

Plus, is there any other way (like extracurricular activities) to support my application?

I really want to go in Fall 2015 and don't want to wait after that...so, I'm hoping if someone can offer me their valuable suggestions. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:34 am
Hi,

You can definitely compensate your low work ex with strong essays/recommendations, GMAT score and overall profile. But still top 10 would be highly ambitious schools for your profile. Target 740+ GMAT and also focus on building your profile by doing some professional certifications, awards and achievements at work place and outside workplace, taking initiatives, team handling/team building skills, leadership skills etc., which will add value to your profile. If you want to really get in top 10 then I would suggest you to wait for one or two more years, gain experience, build your profile and then apply confidently.Let me know if you have any questions...

Regards,
Manish
www.general-ed.com
Try https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by deepak_koli » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:42 am
I am planning to do MBA from S P Jain Global . And my GMAT score is pretty well and I have got four years of work experience . I would like to know on what basis do S P Jain Global accepts candidates ..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:16 pm
Hi Deepak,

SP Jain mainly shortlists applications based on past academic performance, aptitude test scores(GMAT), overall work experience, extracurricular activities, and other achievements at work place and outside work place. Shortlisted candidates are required to visit one of the selection centers in Dubai, Sydney, Singapore or Mumbai for further evaluation. This test includes writing essays, analyzing case studies, and undergoing a personal interview. Please share more details about your profile and GMAT score to evaluate your chances.

Regards,
Manish
www.general-ed.com
Try https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool
deepak_koli wrote:I am planning to do MBA from S P Jain Global . And my GMAT score is pretty well and I have got four years of work experience . I would like to know on what basis do S P Jain Global accepts candidates ..