Is it ever too EARLY to apply? (Profile Evaluation)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello all,

This being my first post on Beat the GMAT, I would like to share that I grinded it out from a 560 (first practice test) to a 710 (49Q, 37V, IR=7, AWA 5.5) on the actual GMAT.

However, this post is mainly focused more on my overall profile rather than my GMAT score. I currently am 25 and will be 26 next fall if I apply this year. I noticed though that many of the top schools have an average age of 27 or even 28. The two questions that I have are:
- Will having 3 years of work experience (applying at 26) go against me? or is it okay to apply now?
- I have a 710 on my GMATs but obviously a 730 or higher would be even better. Is my GMAT score too low for the top 5 business schools?

Education:
B.S Chemical Engineering - UC Santa Barbara (GPA 3.6-3.7 range)
M.S. Chemical Engineering & Product Development - UC Berkeley (GPA 3.8+ range)

Work Experience:
2 years in the semiconductor industry as an applications engineer (please respect my anonymity)
- Job entails working with the engineering team on R&D and next generation product development
- Project management of a field region (ownership over projects, resource allocation, etc)
- Extensive customer support including international travel

Leadership Positions:
- President of my Tau Beta Pi chapter in college, though I have not done much since post-college graduation

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 pm
Hey there,

There are a few reasons I think you should wait. As an engineer, to be honest, you really don't seem to have the experience that jumps off the page yet. Which isn't a knock against you - it's pretty common in a profession like engineering. It takes time to gain responsibility and showcase impact. Also, as you mentioned, you don't have much in the way of involvement since graduating. Waiting a year would help you fix that. You have a lot of things working for you but another year (plus one between application and matriculation) will help you strengthen the things that need to be shored up. It'll also help you further develop your story!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:38 pm
I respectfully disagree with Bhavik. I do not think another year of work experience would make you more competitive. Three years of work experience is sufficient and another year of engineering experience will not necessarily prepare you for your post-MBA goals, especially if you are switching gears. The younger you are, the more your academic profile counts. Given your good GMAT score and strong grades in a difficult degree at an excellent school (especially for your Masters), I would recommend you apply to business schools. That said, you are not ultra-competitive for Top 5 schools and should apply to less selective school too, even if you wait a year.

Your GMAT score is not too low, but as you mention a 730 would be stronger because the jump in 20 points would swing you above the median at top 5 schools (i.e. a jump of 20 points from 710 to 730 is the most meaningful jump of 20 points).

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.