Is 710 Enough for a top 10?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is 710 Enough for a top 10?

by mattyahn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:51 pm
I could probably study more and achieve somewhere in the 750-780, but after 6 months of studying I have achieved a 710 score. I know there are a lot of other variables to consider, but suffice it to say that I am overall average in every regard.. would a 710 cut it for a top 10 mba program these days? should I spend more energy/get older/ lose more money/ lose more opportunity costs elsewhere in my life to try to achieve a better score, or would I still have a chance at top 10 mba program with a 710 all things mediocre? If not, then being that I am 5 years out of undergrad, what can I do to stand out beyond my gmat then?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:54 pm
mattyahn wrote:I could probably study more and achieve somewhere in the 750-780, but after 6 months of studying I have achieved a 710 score. I know there are a lot of other variables to consider, but suffice it to say that I am overall average in every regard.. would a 710 cut it for a top 10 mba program these days? should I spend more energy/get older/ lose more money/ lose more opportunity costs elsewhere in my life to try to achieve a better score, or would I still have a chance at top 10 mba program with a 710 all things mediocre? If not, then being that I am 5 years out of undergrad, what can I do to stand out beyond my gmat then?
Without more info, it's hard to say. There are certainly plenty of applicants who are admitted to top-10 schools and have GMAT scores at around 700 or lower. It really depends on the other elements of your application. If, for example, you don't have much quant in your background, and you scored 700+ largely on the strength of your verbal score, it might make sense to take the test again and try to demonstrate greater quant proficiency. But if the rest of your application is very strong and your GMAT scores are balanced, it probably wouldn't make sense to retake. My advice: post in the admissions consulting forum, but include more info, including your GMAT split, details about your work experience, etc: https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:01 pm
Hi mattyahn,

Do you know which Schools/Programs you're specifically interested in? I ask because the details really DO matter. With a 710, you have a score that will allow you to comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you, but Schools that are highly competitive (whether they're "Top 10" Schools or not) will be scrutinizing your OVERALL profile. As such, there is NO GMAT score that will guarantee you anything.

As an aside, the way that you're presenting yourself in this post - as well as your overall 'attitude' towards the study process - comes across as somewhat negative. When you write your essays and do interviews, you really have to be careful about how you 'market yourself.' You could be perfectly qualified to attend a Top 10 School but blow it with the Admissions Committee based on how you present yourself in your application.

Since you're clearly interested in some competitive Programs, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and application plans. There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Last edited by [email protected] on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:32 am
If, as you say, you are "overall average in every regard," then you may not get into a top-10 program even with a 780 on the GMAT. The GMAT is just one data point among many, and not necessarily the most important one. Business schools want to see well-rounded candidates who have demonstrated leadership and initiative. It's a fallacy to think that a high GMAT score will completely compensate for an otherwise lackluster application.

It's probably in your best interest to first think about the other aspects of your application, and how you could make yourself appear as non-average as possible! Are there ways of taking on new leadership in your job? In extracurriculars?

I would advise talking to an admissions consultant - many of them offer free consultations. I have personally worked very closely with mbaMission, and they do excellent work: https://mbamission.com/consult/
Ask them about what you could do to make yourself an attractive candidate outside of the GMAT.

Then if they recommend it, focus on trying to get a higher score on the GMAT. It's entirely possible that you could gain another 20-30 points with structured effort, or perhaps private tutoring. No one needs above a 750, though.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by veigapa16 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:24 am
If you studied judiciously for 6 months and received a 710 score, then you may want to reflect on how you were studying. Did you use all of the resources available to you? Could you have benefited from some in person instruction? Also, it may not be a bad idea to take the exam again in a few weeks. You should be able to retain most of the information, and you might get luckier on the second time around.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Andre Torres » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 am
Hi mattyahn

As before mentioned, talking to an admission consultant may be beneficial for you. At MBAitNOW we offer a free profile evaluation conducted within 24 hours.
If you would like more in-depth insights that are relevant to your individual situation, sign up for a free consultation.

https://www.mbaitnow.com/contact-bedford/

I wish you the best of luck with your application and hope we can help you getting into your preferred MBA program.
Admission Consultant at MBAitNOW
Visit mbaitnow.com and sign up for a FREE consultation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:780

by 800_or_bust » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:00 am
ceilidh.erickson wrote:If, as you say, you are "overall average in every regard," then you may not get into a top-10 program even with a 780 on the GMAT. The GMAT is just one data point among many, and not necessarily the most important one. Business schools want to see well-rounded candidates who have demonstrated leadership and initiative. It's a fallacy to think that a high GMAT score will completely compensate for an otherwise lackluster application.

It's probably in your best interest to first think about the other aspects of your application, and how you could make yourself appear as non-average as possible! Are there ways of taking on new leadership in your job? In extracurriculars?

I would advise talking to an admissions consultant - many of them offer free consultations. I have personally worked very closely with mbaMission, and they do excellent work: https://mbamission.com/consult/
Ask them about what you could do to make yourself an attractive candidate outside of the GMAT.

Then if they recommend it, focus on trying to get a higher score on the GMAT. It's entirely possible that you could gain another 20-30 points with structured effort, or perhaps private tutoring. No one needs above a 750, though.
Begs the question - if you're scoring a 780, are you really "average in every regard" to begin with? :P

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:02 am
800_or_bust wrote:
ceilidh.erickson wrote:If, as you say, you are "overall average in every regard," then you may not get into a top-10 program even with a 780 on the GMAT. The GMAT is just one data point among many, and not necessarily the most important one. Business schools want to see well-rounded candidates who have demonstrated leadership and initiative. It's a fallacy to think that a high GMAT score will completely compensate for an otherwise lackluster application.

Begs the question - if you're scoring a 780, are you really "average in every regard" to begin with? :P
Haha. If you get a 780, you'd definitely have well-above-average intelligence (at least the kind of intelligence that the GMAT measures). But I've seen a lot of high-scorers who only had mediocre grades, or didn't exhibit any leadership in their career history. Business schools would say "this person is smart, but doesn't take initiative. We don't want him/her at our school."
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education