Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is 680 enough?

by puneetjain18 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:46 am
Hi,

I recently wrote the GMAT and scored a 680(Q48, V35). My background is as below

34/M/Indian

10 years work ex. Past 6 yrs with Accenture Consulting. One of the top performers.

Mechanical Engineer and have an MBA from tier 2 college in India.

MBA%- 62
BE%-65

Social contributions: have been active within Accenture in social initiatives

International experience- Worked around 1year in Australia and 6 months in Thailand

Team handling: Managed 6 resources in Australia. Currently handling 3 consultants.

I am looking for 1yr MBA from Insead, IESE, HEC etc. Can you suggest my chances?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon May 04, 2015 1:12 pm
Thanks for sharing your background. A couple things that you will need to consider is your common background and your age. You're in an overrepresented pool when it comes to ethnicity and education. One point of clarification regarding your work experience - was your consulting work technology focused or strategic in nature? Your GMAT is a bit low for INSEAD but in the range for IESE and HEC, however your age is the component that is working against you.

Based on the information you provided, your involvement looks a bit light given the only activities are related to your employer - any type of pro-bono consulting or activities outside of Accenture? At this stage of your career, leadership is expected. It's great that you are leading small teams, but this isn't really a point of separation for you, unfortunately.

The key for you will be to tie a cohesive story around why it's so important for you to get your MBA at this stage of your career. You'll need to take the time to identify unique traits and experiences that make you an attractive candidate. Leadership and influence will be qualities to emphasize given the depth of your professional experience. Hope this helps, and best of luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by puneetjain18 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:23 pm
Dear Bhavik,

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. I am currently engaged with Accenture in the strategic consulting domain. I am a part of the Supply chain consulting domain and have worked with multiple blue chip client across the world.

As you mentioned, my age is on the higher side for all the programs. Do you suggest that I should look for some specific programs in that case?

Also, I had a preliminary evaluation from HEC based on my profile and they indicated that my GMAT score is slightly on the lower side. Do you think I should retake the GMAT? Also, what should be the minimum score I should aim for?

Overall, as indicated in your mail below, I believe that my chances are really slim for INSEAD per se. Can you please enlighten if IIM A and other PGPX programs are good enough and if I stand a chance for them? I am also thinking about applying to Kellogs 1 year program.

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed May 06, 2015 4:28 am
A higher GMAT is definitely going to be a good idea so let's start with that - retake the thing! When you're 34, Indian, Male, you really can't afford to be below the median anywhere.

As for programs, you've listed some really different programs. As for an IIM or PGX being good enough - I have no idea - it really depends on what you want to DO with your degree? Kellogg and PGX open different doors!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!