IR question Graphics Interpretation

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

IR question Graphics Interpretation

by Nikhil Punjab » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 am
The eleven cities in which Company X has stores are labeled A through I. The size of each circle indicates the relative size of each city's population. The position of each circle's center relative to the vertical axis indicates the number of Company X stores in the city. The position of the circle's center relative to the horizontal axis indicates total revenue of Company X from stores situated in each city.
For each of the following statements, use the drop-down menu to create the most accurate statement on the basis of information provided.
Of all cities in which Company X stores are placed, the one that accounts for the greatest amount of revenues ranks Select...(first, second, fourth, last) in the number of stores.
The average revenue per resident is greatest in city____(E, K, C, F)

by Nikhil Punjab » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am
I will add the explanation and the correct answer later or if requested.
Confused by the new Integrated Reasoning section? Get our unique IR guide for free https://gogmat.com/integrated-reasoning- ... -on-gogmat

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abcd1111 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:12 pm
Nikhil Punjab thanks for this post !!

I think the answer will be second and K .

Please let me know the correct answer and explanation !!

by Nikhil Punjab » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:10 am
Yes, you are correct!:) Here is the explanation:

Start by analyzing the chart. You have two axes.
The position of each circle or bubble relative to the vertical axis defines how many stores Company X has in the city, so the higher the circle's center is placed, the more stores are in the city. That means city B, which is on the very top, has the greatest number of Company X stores and city C, which is on the very bottom, has the smallest number of Company X stores.
A bubble's position relative to the horizontal axis defines total revenue from all stores in the city, so the leftmost cities generate the least revenue for company X and the rightmost cities generate the most revenues. The size of the circle represents the size of the population of the city, so E has the greatest population, while cities C, I, G, F, and K are the smallest ones.
The first question asks which city brings in the most revenues: that is the city indicated by the rightmost circle, K. To find its rank in terms of the number of stores, locate its position along the vertical axis. The upper-most city, city B, has the greatest number of stores. Next comes city K, so the correct answer is second.
The second question asks you to find the city in which Company X generates the greatest per resident revenue. The revenue per resident can be calculated by dividing the total revenue by the number of residents. You do not have to examine all the cities, as you have only four options from which to choose. So you only need to consider cities E, K, C, and F. City E has the largest population, but the revenue it generates is not that high, so it's a fast out. The other three cities, namely K, C, and F are all indicated by similarly small bubbles, so they all have approximately the same number of residents, so to find the one that has the greatest revenue per resident, we just need to pick the one that brings in more revenues. Since city K is the rightmost, and therefore has the greatest value on the revenue axis, the correct answer is K.
Confused by the new Integrated Reasoning section? Get our unique IR guide for free https://gogmat.com/integrated-reasoning- ... -on-gogmat

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by abcd1111 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 am
yuppie !! right answer !! thanks Nikhil Punjab ..

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 am
I hope I get a few question like this on IR section to get 4 on ir.

many question is much harder.