IR Practice

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

IR Practice

by knight247 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:28 am
Hi,

I just completed reading the Manhattan's Guide 9, "Integrated Reasoning and Essay". Considering I'm pretty decent with Quant, and didn't per se learn anything new reading the book, I am assuming I'm going to be pretty decent with IR as well.

My questions are: What resources are out there that provide practice questions for IR? Do you think all of the questions posted on this forum itself are enough to get sufficient practice for IR?

I know about the $20 package for IR on mba.com, but I'd rather skip that IF I can get confirmation that various IR questions posted on this forum are sufficient for getting well-versed with IR.

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:59 am
Yeah, I wouldn't bother spending money on specifically IR-related material. Start by doing the IR on your practice tests - it's possible your score will already be respectable, in which case, there isn't much reason to devote significant additional study time to that section. If the score is low, review thoroughly and post any questions that give you difficulty.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:15 pm
Hi knight247,

You mentioned how you just read Guide 9; does that mean that you've worked through the other 8 Guides and that you've been studying for awhile?

If you have been studying, then have you taken any FULL-LENGTH practice CATs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by niddy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:32 am
knight247,

I've also bought the Manhattan's Guide 9, "Integrated Reasoning and Essay" and it comes with some online resources, like practice questions and CATs. I didn't even do all of them and was able to raise my IR score from 1 to 5-8. I got a 5 on the real GMAT.
I didn't want to bother much with IR on the real exam, so I guessed some questions and concentrated on some to get a score around the average.

If you got the MGMAT books for free from a friend (I did this!), you can buy only the Guide 9 for less than USD 10!!! (Notice that MGMAT CATs alone cost USD 49! It's a bargain!).

Hope that helps,
Niddy

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:01 am
Veritas has a set of IR questions that you can use. They are pretty good, except that they do not have a sorting function included in the tables.

https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/integra ... questions/

That sorting function, which is included in the tables appearing in official IR practice questions, is a good thing to use. It can be a real game changer when you need to do comparisons. I mean wow, what a difference it makes.

One way to get more official IR practice questions is this. When you take an official practice CAT, if you haven't completed all 12 IR questions in time, just guess on the last few before time runs out. Then you can go back and do them for practice later.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.