International Student | First GMAT 490 | I need Help

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello everybody,

I wanted to thank everyone for creating this website. It is really helpful. I wish I would have seen it earlier. I am an international student applying for a state school here in Florida. I did my undergrads here and the GMAT admissions are not hard at all. I studied for around 2 months for my GMAT. I work full time and English is my third language. I have a dual degree in Finance and Marketing, GPA 3.8

I will be honest and say that I suck at math. I always did. I just took my GMAT today and I feel like the dumbest person ever. Getting over the disappointment will take me definitely couple days. I got a 33 in Math and 23 in Verbal. My english is not stellar but I never had any troubles throughout college. I have one more try in June and if I can't score a decent score I will have to leave the country. I am just looking for any advices or tips?

I want to find tutoring classes, websites or material that could help me. I used Kaplan, Princetown, and GMATPrep for the last couple days before the exam. My issues are Math and mainly sentence correction. I had a 490 and 530 and my Gmat Prep and 550 and 550 on my Kaplan exams. I need a high 500 to get into my program. I know it is not too good of a score but I just really need some help with allocating the right resources.

Can anyone please help? I would greatly appreciate it.

Lukas

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue May 20, 2014 5:13 pm
Hi lukas1989,

Since you're dealing with a short timeline, you'll need to be specific with the details:

1) What is the latest that you can retake the GMAT?
2) How do you "know" what you need to score to receive an acceptance letter to this school?
3) You say that you used some GMAT resources for the last couple of days before the exam. What resources specifically? How long did you use them exactly?
4) How many practice CATs did you take in the last week before your GMAT?

Most Test Takers need 3 months (or more) to hit their respective "peak scores"; since you spent about 2 months, you just might not have put in enough time and effort.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lukas1989 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:29 pm
Hello,

My deadline to apply its July 1st so anytime before that. I used Princetown review 2013 and Kaplan 2014. I did two GmatPrep exams the two days before. Scored 490 and 530. I took two 3 Kaplans, 510, 550, and 550. I had 22 on Verbal which is terrible. I need to get better in that department but my language skills are limited. It takes me longer to understand what some of the passages mean as a whole.

My program will take mid 500's for the MBA program. I am going there tomorrow and I will ask what I can do with my current score. I have a very strong, essay, job experience, and resume. Great GPA as well. I was in Honors college and dual major. I am just a terrible test-taker. I am going to the schools library tomorrow and I will seek tutors. I need some good study materials. My friend used Manhattan and studied for a week and got a 760. He is a genius btw. I just want high 500's.

I used Kaplan and Princetown for a while. I went through the books. I bought GMATPrep this weekend and did like 500 practice questions. I had good results from there.

Let me know if you have any suggestions where I could get help.

thank you!

Lukas

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue May 20, 2014 11:02 pm
Hi lukas1989,

I've sent you a private message with some suggestions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:09 am
Hi lukas1989,

Since your deadline was first week of July 2014, therefore I am wondering whether you took test or you are still practicing to crack GMAT.

All the best!!!
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour