Instructor help for Tough veritas prep Cr

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

Addressed to an Instructor

Advocates argue that five-cent bottle deposits charged on beverage containers are necessary for environmental protection because they help to ensure that plastic and glass bottlesas well as aluminium cans are recycled .This is , the advicates say,because the five-cent redemption programs provide a strong incentive to return the used containers to recycling facilities .However, a recent study found that states without a bottle deposit had more success in implementing comprehensive recycling programs , which include paper,plastics , and steel , in addition to the beverage containers , than did states with a bottle deposit law .
The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in analyzing the significance of the study referenced above ?
(A) Did any of the states surveyed losr revenue on the bottle deposit program ?
(B) Do the citizens of the states that were studied prefer 5 cent redemption programs on beverage containers ?
(C) When the 5 c cent deposit programs were implemented , were the citizens of the states the began deposit programs as enthusiastic about recycling as the citizens of the other states ?
(D) Did the citizens of the states with and without bottle deposit programs purchase compare number of beverages in plastic,glass and aluminium containers ?
(E) Were the bottle deposit and the comprehensive recycling programs given equal funding ?

OA C
I MEntioned the OA

Hi first and foremost , i thought the question was an evaluate the plan type . According to the OE , the Cr seemed to be a weaken the argument type .
Could an Instructor please tell what question type is this ? and how do i approach the Cr
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:33 pm
I got a PM on this question, which is fortunate, because I wrote this one a while back...

Source: Veritas Prep Critical Reasoning 2 book.

Let's take a look at the question.

Firstly, it is not really a plan question. Yes there is a plan involved, but the question is what do I need to know to evaluate the significance of a study? So this is more of a "most useful to know" type of question. As in, "which of the following is the most useful to know when evaluating the relevance of this study to this conclusion?"

Now the study found that the states without bottle deposit laws did better in overall "comprehensive" recycling programs than did those states with bottle deposit laws. The implied conclusion is that it is a better plan to NOT have a bottle deposit law if your goal is comprehensive recycling.

Now the answer choices a variations on the theme of -- what could be the alternate cause for the success of the states without the laws? Might it just be coincidence that they are performing better? In other words the states without bottle deposit laws might have something else in common that allows them to be more successful in comprehensive recycling.

Now C would be useful to know. Basically, "are the citizens in states with and without bottle deposits equally enthusiastic?" If they are not then that could be a big cause of the difference noted in the study. Maybe that is the reason some states have more success than others.

E also seems to be a good choice. Funding is a big deal in the success of a program. I meant for E to be worded in such a way that it would be taken out of the equation. It says, "Were the bottle deposit and the comprehensive recycling programs given equal funding?" Now this was supposed to not be an equal comparison. Bottle deposit focuses only on beverage containers while the comprehensive focuses on everything recyclable. So this is meant to not be as useful because it is apples to oranges, not a true comparison.

D is meant to be a distraction as well. It should not be important that they citizens purchase equal number of beverages, instead what they do with those containers should be key.

A and B are not particularly relevant to the results of the study.

So approach as a most useful to know and see what information helps you to decide whether you can make conclusions from this study.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:46 am
Thanks for nice explanation that why is E wrong.....I picked E.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:01 am
Is this one fair? or is it too tough? Lots of people pick E...

It is important to be able to do these Most Useful to Know Type Questions as they seem to be becoming more common on the GMAT.

The test writers must think this is a more difficult question type.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:06 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Is this one fair? or is it too tough? Lots of people pick E...

It is important to be able to do these Most Useful to Know Type Questions as they seem to be becoming more common on the GMAT.

Hi David ,
The question type "Useful to know " is a bit vague .
Could you please elaborate on this question type .
Useful to know to do what ?
Thanks a Lot david. It would be extremely helpful if you help us understand this type better since its becoming so common on the GMAT .
When i attempted this question , i assumed it was an Evaluate the plan . But there was no proposal or plan here .I was therefore confused as to what i was supposed to do . "useful to know the significance " is a bit vague for me . What did they mean by "the significance of the study " . I ended up taking a poor guess.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:44 am
Look for an article this week called "Most Useful to Know on the Verbal Section." It will describe my two most recent GMAT exams in terms of what I generally saw on the verbal and will offer an example and a walk-through of a "most useful to know" question. It will not, obviously, be a live GMAT question, but will be one that I am writing that will guide you in the correct direction.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:17 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Look for an article this week called "Most Useful to Know on the Verbal Section." It will describe my two most recent GMAT exams in terms of what I generally saw on the verbal and will offer an example and a walk-through of a "most useful to know" question. It will not, obviously, be a live GMAT question, but will be one that I am writing that will guide you in the correct direction.
Hi David,I am sorry but i was unable to find any article authored by you in this week or the last in the gmat verbal section . I have also subscribed to the veritas prep newsletter . I didnt find any references to this q type. Could you be kind enough to post a link to the same.
Thanks for your help

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:04 am
Upcoming!

As in the week that starts today. It should be posted some time in the next 7 days.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:07 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Upcoming!

As in the week that starts today. It should be posted some time in the next 7 days.
I misunderstood the post . Sorries . would be gladly looking forward to that post . I think the veritas prep newsletter would include that post as well .

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:18 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Is this one fair? or is it too tough? Lots of people pick E...

Thanks David for the question . The veritas questions are quite challenging and make good practice .