INSEAD Jan 2017 intake

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

INSEAD Jan 2017 intake

by sutirtho » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:17 am
Hi,
i would be applying for the January 2017 INSEAD intake. Would highly appreciate an evaluation of my profile.
My profile:
Mechanical Engineer: 2004-2008 (Pune University/non -IIT)
2.5 years of work-ex in Reliance Industries Limited (Oil&Gas industry market leader in India) (2008-2011) as a Mechanical Division Manager in a Petrochemical plant.
MBA (not AAISCB accredited) in International Business from Symbiosis University India. (2011-2013)
2.5 years of work-ex in Asian Paints Limited (Paint industry market leader in India) of which 1.5 years was in Distribution/Logistics and 1 year in Demand Planning
GMAT score: 720 48:Quant 41:Verbal
International Ex: Close to nil:( I did go to Spain for 10 days to participate in the finals of a Global Marketing competition organized by a Spanish University. Came 3rd. But that's about it.
Had done an MBA in International Business in the hope of international opportunities, but that didn't work out. Spent a lot of time with foreign classmates though who came to India on the International exchange program.
Have started writing my application essays, but have a feeling i might be an outright reject due to lack of international experience. Also, in some ways, this is a second MBA. My motivation of doing a second MBA is that my international aspirations were not really fulfilled by the first.
i have 2 years of volunteering ex in an NGO while in Symbiosis.
Please let me know if there are any important aspects of my applications i should focus on.
Thanks in advance.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:25 am
Hi there,

To be honest, INSEAD could be quite a reach school but it's always worth a shot if you are willing to apply. I would definitely apply to some other schools as backup.
Firstly, 2/5 years of work experience is on the lower side for INSEAD. So you would really need to show high level or achievements at work. Average is closer to 5-6 years. Also as you said, Int'l experience is very important for INSEAD and if you don't have much experience or exposure, this will definitely hinder your application. But you could mention how important it is to you to have this global experience, maybe you want to work int'l, etc - as long as you show the passion for this than this could compensate a little bit. Gmat is great - though can't tell what your percentiles are. And extra curriculars are also very important so am not sure if you have more to focus on than just the 2 years volunteering. It's extremely competitive getting into INSEAD or any top MBA program and to be honest, as an Indian Male Engineer (assuming you are male?) it makes it even more competitive so you really have to show your previous leadership abilities/achievements/accomplishments to set you a part from your competitors. If you'd like a better assessment, a bunch of us from Fortuna are previous INSEAD admissions directors so we would be happy to talk to you for 30 mins for free. From there we could distinguish if you have a chance with INSEAD and if we don't feel it's the right fit, we can suggest other schools for you (check out our site under contact us).
All the best

Melissa
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

by Melissa@Fortuna » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:26 am
Sorry, i do see you have more than 2.5 years experience and closer to 6 so that is good!

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

by sutirtho » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:53 am
Hi,
Really appreciate the feedback. I do have around 5 years of work-ex, which is around the INSEAD average. My GMAT percentiles are Verbal:41 94% and Quant: 48 73%. Working internationally has been a dream of mine and I had even done a separate course on International Business to try and make it happen, but it didn't work out somehow, so INSEAD is actually me giving the dream a second shot.
I have registered on your website, hoping to hear from you guys to try and understand how i could bridge the gaps in my application. And yeah, I am male:)

by Melissa@Fortuna » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:07 am
Terrific thanks. Hope we can help!
Melissa

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:30 pm
sutirtho wrote:Hi,
i would be applying for the January 2017 INSEAD intake. Would highly appreciate an evaluation of my profile.
My profile:
Mechanical Engineer: 2004-2008 (Pune University/non -IIT)
2.5 years of work-ex in Reliance Industries Limited (Oil&Gas industry market leader in India) (2008-2011) as a Mechanical Division Manager in a Petrochemical plant.
MBA (not AAISCB accredited) in International Business from Symbiosis University India. (2011-2013)
2.5 years of work-ex in Asian Paints Limited (Paint industry market leader in India) of which 1.5 years was in Distribution/Logistics and 1 year in Demand Planning
GMAT score: 720 48:Quant 41:Verbal
International Ex: Close to nil:( I did go to Spain for 10 days to participate in the finals of a Global Marketing competition organized by a Spanish University. Came 3rd. But that's about it.
Had done an MBA in International Business in the hope of international opportunities, but that didn't work out. Spent a lot of time with foreign classmates though who came to India on the International exchange program.
Have started writing my application essays, but have a feeling i might be an outright reject due to lack of international experience. Also, in some ways, this is a second MBA. My motivation of doing a second MBA is that my international aspirations were not really fulfilled by the first.
i have 2 years of volunteering ex in an NGO while in Symbiosis.
Please let me know if there are any important aspects of my applications i should focus on.
Thanks in advance.

While INSEAD has a major focus on international experience ( staying outside of your home country for work or education for considerable time) but we believe that your diverse work ex and decent GMAT score can fetch you an interview call if you present your story well.

Highlight petrochem experience and learning while working with a big group. Reason for second MBA has to be called out well and should be convincing.

Do some research on what roles INSEAD grads ( with your kind of pre MBA profile) have got into. Linkedin is a good source.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

by sutirtho » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:10 am
Hey, thanks for the advice. I've been trying to fit in my petrochem experience in the essays, but somehow the job essay questions are geared more towards current job and what next from here..even the optional essay seems really specific...anyways, i'll do my best.
Also, i'll do some more research on LinkedIn, i tried reaching out to a few of the alums and professors on LinkedIn, but very few (1 to be specific, that too on FB) seem to respond..
Thanks for the tips.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:39 am
Thank you for posting your profile.

Aside from the tips above, you can use your petrochem experience to demonstrate understanding of the impact of global political and economic events, and relate how it benefitted you or how it will with post-MBA goals. Identifying the specific courses and the showing familiarity with the culture at INSEAD would help. Use it also to show why it will still benefit you even though you did an MBA previously.

Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!