Indian / Non IT / Female (Update: GMAT 710)

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Indian / Non IT / Female (Update: GMAT 710)

by genmba » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:59 am
Hi,

I aim to apply in 1/2 years' time, and am still building my profile. I am taking the GMAT next week. What would be a realistic list of schools to apply to, considering i have to select 5 schools on test day?

<profile>

Many thanks :)
Last edited by genmba on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:13 am
Hi,

You have decent profile with good academics and work experience, try to get 700+ GMAT and build on your profile. Since you are very much clear on your career goals, you can think of applying to 1-2 dream schools, 2-3 realistic schools and 1-2 safe schools. Ideally you should apply to 5-6 schools to increase your chances. You can think of applying to 1-2 schools in top 10 range and then IE, Judge, Kelley, Emory, Kenan Flagler, Ohio Fisher, Michigan Broad, Schulich, Ivey in Canada. To shortlist few more schools you can try our B-School Selector tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/LVWTay

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com

by genmba » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:55 pm
Thank you for your reply!

Kelley/Schulich need a Masters degree, so eliminated them. And i am not sure if i will meet the high GPA requirements for Judge/Said, or the average work exp for IE.

Do I have a fair chance at: Kenan-Flagler, ISB, NUS, Nanyang. And the dream(realistic?) would be Kellogg/Tuck/Darden.

Thanks! :)

by GeneralEducation » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 am
Hey there,

Not sure what you mean by Masters degree requirement for Kelley/Schulich? As far as their MBA program goes, they need an undergrad. Are you talking about 3-yr vs 4-yr degree requirement?

The GPA might be a bit of a challenge. But if you do get a high GMAT score (I am looking at 710+), it'll be compensated to a good extent.

You're right in terms of work-ex requirement for IE, it's definitely not going to be enough.

But I do think you would have a good chance at the others, and definitely at ISB. We've had strong experience helping people with similar profiles to ISB.

Get a strong GMAT score and then come back, and get in touch to see how we can help.

All the best with your GMAT!
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

by genmba » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:58 am
Thanks Manish! Appreciate your reply.

Yes i did mean that i would have to supplement my 3-yr degree with an additional degree for Kelley/Schulich.

Thank you, will be back after the GMAT!

Best regards.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:10 pm
University of Mumbai is an excellent school. Was your 65% a First Class Degree? I like your work experience. But the GMAT is a necessary component for offering a range of choices. Also, any regional preference would help too.

Good luck on the test!!!
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

by genmba » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:19 pm
Thanks for your reply :). Yes, it was a First Class Degree (>60%).

I do have a bit of doubt about 65%, because that is my aggregate over 3 years. Mumbai University grants us Degree Certificates based on 3rd year marks only. And in 3rd year, i have 73%.

I however think US B-schools might require a "cumulative" GPA, over all years of study. Not worrying too much about it now though! And i might get it converted to the US 4-point scale in the future.

Regional preference would be umm..anywhere in the US would do, i'd rather search by career goals/acceptance rate. And UK/Western Europe/Singapore.

Thank you, i should be studying now!!!:)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:30 pm
Do not worry about the grade conversion as the schools will have plenty of experience with applicants from University of Mumbai. Just concentrate on getting the best GMAT score possible to have the highest Academic Profile possible.

Good Luck!!!!
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

by genmba » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 am
Hi!

Got 710 on the GMAT today. (Q 47 V 41 IR 6). Am a tad bit disappointed about the quant score - it shows 68 percentile at that score! :(

How bad is Q47 + a low GPA? Does it necessitate a retake?

I opted to send my scores to ISB, NUS, Kellogg, Darden and Michigan Ross today. Any inputs for planning next year admissions would be a big help.

by GeneralEducation » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:01 am
Hi there

Congratulations on getting a 710! It is a very good score, I must say. The Q will definitely show a lower percentile, that's the way it is. The Verbal score is very strong and it will put you in a strong position, although schools are used to seeing a high Quant score for Indian applicants.

All said, I think the GMAT should be fine, unless you really feel you can do much better, and that it was a one-off incident. Otherwise, your time would be well spent on working on your essays.

ISB and NUS should be target schools for you. Kellogg is always competitive with the kind of profiles they get, and the other schools are definitely not out of reach at this point. I'd say it's a decent list, but can be worked upon a lot more to make sure you get the best admits next year!

I am quite confident with your case for some of the schools. Get in touch for a free initial discussion, and to prepare a definitive strategy!

All the Best!
genmba wrote:Hi!

Got 710 on the GMAT today. (Q 47 V 41 IR 6). Am a tad bit disappointed about the quant score - it shows 68 percentile at that score! :(

How bad is Q47 + a low GPA? Does it necessitate a retake?

I opted to send my scores to ISB, NUS, Kellogg, Darden and Michigan Ross today. Any inputs for planning next year admissions would be a big help.

Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]