• Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider

In Colorado subalpine meadows

This topic has 3 expert replies and 4 member replies
gmatdriller Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
04 Jul 2010
Posted:
418 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Thanked:
6 times

In Colorado subalpine meadows

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:22 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    In Colorado subalpine meadows, non-native dandelions co-occur with a native flower, the larkspur. Bumblebees visit both species, creating the potential for interactions between the two species with respect to pollination. In a recent study, researchers selected 6 plots containing both species; all dandelions were removed from eight plots; the remaining eight control plots were left undisturbed. The control plots yielded significantly more larkspur seeds than the dandelion- free plots, leading the researchers to conclude that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence, seed production) in the native species by attractive more pollinators to the mixed plots.

    Which of the following, if true, mostly undermines the researchers’ reasoning?

    A: Bumblebees preferentially visit dandelions over larkspurs in mixed plots
    B: In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production
    C: If left unchecked, non-native species like dandelions quickly crowd out native species
    D: Seed germination is a more reliable measure of a species’ fitness than seed production
    E: Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production

    @ GmatGuru, Jim@Stratusprep, & Brent@GmatpreNow...many thanks for your contributions to my previous cr questions.

    Above question is similar to A causes B, and we are asked to weaken. The question appears confusing with plenty words but simple after careful analysis. Eliminating Alternative cause

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    bubbliiiiiiii Legendary Member
    Joined
    14 Apr 2009
    Posted:
    971 messages
    Followed by:
    12 members
    Thanked:
    49 times
    Test Date:
    18.10.2012
    Target GMAT Score:
    760
    GMAT Score:
    700
    Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:00 am
    gmatdriller wrote:
    In Colorado subalpine meadows, non-native dandelions co-occur with a native flower, the larkspur. Bumblebees visit both species, creating the potential for interactions between the two species with respect to pollination. In a recent study, researchers selected 6 plots containing both species; all dandelions were removed from eight plots; the remaining eight control plots were left undisturbed. The control plots yielded significantly more larkspur seeds than the dandelion- free plots, leading the researchers to conclude that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence, seed production) in the native species by attractive more pollinators to the mixed plots.

    Which of the following, if true, mostly undermines the researchers’ reasoning?

    A: Bumblebees preferentially visit dandelions over larkspurs in mixed plots
    B: In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production
    C: If left unchecked, non-native species like dandelions quickly crowd out native species
    D: Seed germination is a more reliable measure of a species’ fitness than seed production
    E: Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production

    @ GmatGuru, Jim@Stratusprep, & Brent@GmatpreNow...many thanks for your contributions to my previous cr questions.

    Above question is similar to A causes B, and we are asked to weaken. The question appears confusing with plenty words but simple after careful analysis. Eliminating Alternative cause
    Core:

    P1: Two species of flowers are grown simultaneously.
    P2: BBees are pollinators for both these species.
    P3: Recent study indicates plot with mixed species yielded significantly nor L seeds than D free plots.
    C: Presence of Dandelion facilitates seed productions by attracting more pollinators.

    Question type:

    Weaken ... there are three ways to deal with it.

    1. A reverse logic should exist i.e., Dandelion are grown because of more pollinators -> does not make sense.
    2. It's just a coincidence
    3. Provide an alternative cause.

    Lets evaluate options.

    A: Bumblebees preferentially visit dandelions over larkspurs in mixed plots
    This is the conclusion - Eliminate.

    B: In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production.
    Not sure of what it is .. so will keep it for now.

    C: If left unchecked, non-native species like dandelions quickly crowd out native species
    If this was the case then more Dandelion seeds than larkspur seeds should have been created.

    D: Seed germination is a more reliable measure of a species’ fitness than seed production
    Out of context since we are dealing with seed production here.

    E: Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production
    Noting mentioned about soil distribution.

    Thus, by POE, IMO B.

    _________________
    Regards,

    Pranay

    Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:28 am
    gmatdriller wrote:
    In Colorado subalpine meadows, non-native dandelions co-occur with a native flower, the larkspur. Bumblebees visit both species, creating the potential for interactions between the two species with respect to pollination. In a recent study, researchers selected 6 plots containing both species; all dandelions were removed from eight plots; the remaining eight control plots were left undisturbed. The control plots yielded significantly more larkspur seeds than the dandelion- free plots, leading the researchers to conclude that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination (and hence, seed production) in the native species by attractive more pollinators to the mixed plots.

    Which of the following, if true, mostly undermines the researchers’ reasoning?

    A: Bumblebees preferentially visit dandelions over larkspurs in mixed plots
    B: In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production
    C: If left unchecked, non-native species like dandelions quickly crowd out native species
    D: Seed germination is a more reliable measure of a species’ fitness than seed production
    E: Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production[/b]
    Premise:
    After dandelions were removed from 8 plots, these 8 plots yielded fewer larkspur seeds than did the control plots.
    Conclusion:
    The presence of dandelions facilitates pollination.

    The assumption is that there is NO OTHER EXPLANATION for the lower seed yield in the 8 plots from which dandelions were removed.
    One way to weaken the conclusion is to suggest an ALTERNATE EXPLANATION for the lower seed yield in these 8 plots.

    Answer choice E: Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production.
    Implication:
    The lower seed yield in the 8 plots was due NOT to the absence of dandelions but to the SOIL DISTURBANCE that occurred when the dandelions were removed, WEAKENING the conclusion that the presence of dandelions facilitates pollination.

    The correct answer is E.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    gmat_for_life Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
    Joined
    26 Jun 2015
    Posted:
    75 messages
    Post Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:08 am
    Hello Mitch,

    One question here...

    How do we know that soil disturbances occurred when the dandelions were removed? This can possibly be implied but cannot be confirmed I guess?

    Many Thanks,
    Amit

    Post Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:10 am
    gmat_for_life wrote:
    Hello Mitch,

    One question here...

    How do we know that soil disturbances occurred when the dandelions were removed? This can possibly be implied but cannot be confirmed I guess?

    Many Thanks,
    Amit
    From the passage:
    All dandelions were removed from eight plots; the remaining eight control plots were left UNDISTURBED.
    Implication:
    Whereas the control plots were left UNDISTURBED, the other eight plots WERE disturbed.
    How were they disturbed?
    By the removal of the dandelions.

    _________________
    Mitch Hunt
    GMAT Private Tutor
    GMATGuruNY@gmail.com
    If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

    Thanked by: gmat_for_life
    Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    jabhatta Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
    Joined
    22 May 2014
    Posted:
    18 messages
    Post Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 pm
    Hi - please let me know where i might be going wrong here Sad

    ---------------

    E : Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production

    My interpretation of E : because of disturbances in the soil specifically , fewer blooms (aka dandelion plants) are produced --hence even lower seeds are produced

    Goal : weaken the argument which states dandelions facilitates pollination and seed production (not necessarily seed yield)

    Question : just because soil disturbances result in fewer blooms (fewer grown Dandelion plants)...... why does this imply, Dandelions do not facilitate pollination ......

    Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:53 am
    jabhatta wrote:
    Hi - please let me know where i might be going wrong here Sad

    ---------------

    E : Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production

    My interpretation of E : because of disturbances in the soil specifically , fewer blooms (aka dandelion plants) are produced --hence even lower seeds are produced

    Goal : weaken the argument which states dandelions facilitates pollination and seed production (not necessarily seed yield)

    Question : just because soil disturbances result in fewer blooms (fewer grown Dandelion plants)...... why does this imply, Dandelions do not facilitate pollination ......
    Imagine that scientists hypothesize that Drug X can extend the lifespan of gerbils. So they do an experiment. They give one set of gerbils Drug X and they give another set a placebo. The gerbils given Drug X live five months longer than the gerbils given the placebo. So the drug looks good, right? Well, what if it turns out that the placebo contains lethal amounts of poison. Suddenly, we’d have an alternative explanation: rather than Drug X being effective, the placebo was actually shortening life expectancy. Does this prove that Drug X doesn’t work? No. But it surely hurts the argument that it does.

    Same logic here. We're told that the plots with both types of flowers had greater yields of larkspur seeds. One explanation is that the presence of dandelions improved the larkspur seed yields in the plots containing both. An alternative explanation, offered by E, is that the disturbance caused by removing the dandelions hurt the seed yields in the plots with only larkspur. (In this case, disturbing the soil is analogous to the presence of poison in the placebo - it's a variable that contaminates the purity of the experiment.) Does it mean that dandelions can’t help yields? No. But it certainly weakens that argument that they do.

    _________________
    Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

    Veritas Prep Reviews
    Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
    Pratishtha21 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    01 Jul 2017
    Posted:
    32 messages
    Post Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:55 pm
    A: Bumblebees preferentially visit dandelions over larkspurs in mixed plots - INCORRECT- this is the conclusion of the passage.
    B: In mixed plots, pollinators can transfer pollen from one species to another to augment seed production - Yes. So? It is mere a fact.- INCORRECT-
    C: If left unchecked, non-native species like dandelions quickly crowd out native species -INCORRECT- Again, it has nothing to do with the argument
    D: Seed germination is a more reliable measure of a species’ fitness than seed production - INCORRECT- same as D
    E: Soil disturbances can result in fewer blooms, and hence lower seed production - YES! this is the right choice. Now, the author says that the bees are attracted to dandelions and more pollination happens in the mixed plots becoz of that. But if E were true, then we know that the plot where dandelions were removed had disturbed soil and due to this, there was lower pollination and hence lower seed production.

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 lheiannie07 107 topics
    2 ardz24 64 topics
    3 LUANDATO 62 topics
    4 swerve 60 topics
    5 AAPL 57 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    166 posts
    2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

    The Economist GMAT Tutor

    135 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    124 posts
    4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    123 posts
    5 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

    Target Test Prep

    118 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts