Important Tricks/shortcuts on GMAT Quant

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Is there a forum , where I can learn about about time saving tricks and shortcuts on gmat quant.

To give an example of the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Let the successive increase in percentages be a% and b%.
In that case, the total increase will be (a + b + ab/100 )%

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Sun May 24, 2015 10:06 pm
It would depend, I suppose, on what types of problems you felt you needed the most help with -- I'd recommend attaining a high comfort-level with backsolving and picking numbers and doing the same problem solving question both ways (algebraically, then also backsolving/picking numbers) just to build your facility with each.

In terms of "tricks" and "shortcuts," there just is no substitute for solid analysis of a problem BEFORE deciding on the most advantageous attempt. I'd begin your own list for those problems you find especially tricky, and then look up tactics specific to that problem-type (i.e. work and rates, mixtures, sequences, etc.) I'm not a huge fan of the word "trick" because the GMAT is not especially "tricky" on the Quant side of things. Problem Solving especially is remarkably straight-forward.

GMAT Club has a huge database of student-generated notes. You may find something similar here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/download.php? ... mit=Search
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Mon May 25, 2015 12:07 am
People use the word 'trick' to mean a variety of things. Sometimes people mean test-taking 'tricks' like 'backsolving' or 'picking numbers'. Sometimes people mean mathematical 'tricks', like using units digits or divisibility properties to pick a right answer without doing any real calculation. And sometimes people mean memorizing formulas for specific obscure scenarios.

The emphasis you should place on test-taking 'tricks' really depends on your level. Techniques like backsolving can be very successful on lower level questions, but are usually impossible to use on high-level questions. Even when they can be used, they're also almost always (with a few exceptions) more time-consuming than other approaches on harder questions.

I also don't advise memorizing a lot of inessential formulas, especially if you do that as a substitute for genuinely understanding the math. You will have so few opportunities to use formulas other than the standard ones that it's not worthwhile devoting time to memorizing them - that time will be better spent understanding concepts, and learning how to solve different types of questions.

Genuine mathematical tricks can be very useful, though. I find on any given GMAT test, I have at least a dozen opportunities to use some kind of time-saving trick. But those tricks come down to understanding how math works, and recognizing opportunities to apply that understanding. I'll give just one of many examples. Suppose you saw this question:

Keaton Cinemas operates 187 movie theaters, each containing 96 seats. How many seats are there in all of the Keaton Cinema theaters combined?
A) 17,952
B) 18,064
C) 18,128
D) 18,397
E) 18,796

This is not a GMAT-like problem, because it's too boring, but if I saw something similar on a GMAT, I'd know there must be a way to bypass the tedious computation of 187*96. Estimation does not look promising, but the answers all end in a different digit. Since the units digit of 187*96 must be 2, the only possible answer is A.

I can use a real GMAT problem to illustrate how you can use the same 'trick' to get the answer in three seconds - this is an old official problem:

If it is 5:27 in the morning now, what time in the evening was it 2,880,717 minutes ago?
A) 5:21
B) 5:24
C) 5:27
D) 5:30
E) 5:35

Many test takers would spend a long time on this question dividing up the 2,880,717 into hours and minutes. But we're really just subtracting two things ending in 7 - if you go back 7 minutes, or 17 minutes, or 27 minutes, or 2,880,717 minutes from 5:27, the time you get will always end in 0. So the answer must be 5:30.

That's one of dozens of tricks you can use to save time on the GMAT, and those are the tricks I find most useful. They're all based on having a good understanding of simple mathematical properties.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon May 25, 2015 9:26 am
Hi akshatjain58,

The overall question that you're asking about requires some context.

1) Have you taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs? If so, then how have you scored (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) Do you have a significant pacing problem (and do you have trouble finishing the section on time)?
3) What is your score goal?

If you're actually scoring at a high level right now, then your issues might be in your 'process' or in specific nitpick categories in the Quant, so a thorough review of your prior work might be in order.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chandra004 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:19 pm
Quite the help with all the answers. Much appreciated. Will follow the process.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Thu May 11, 2017 8:14 pm
More than anything else, it's important to try problems at a level that's challenging but accessible FOR YOU, and to stick with those until you get good enough to try the harder ones. I see a lot of people waste time on needlessly hard problems, or kid themselves with very easy ones, but the students who get the most out of their study time are the ones who focus on the problems that can teach them something useful and interesting right away. (After all, you don't want to spend your life on this test! The sooner you get to the heart of it, the better.)