people{i mean other country people] have ever heard of it. how is this
component of the mba application[UNDERGRAD INSTITUION] reviewed and what is
its importance?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 am
Hi Rajiv,

The undergrad institution is considered, within the context of your overall profile and application. With MBA admissions, there is no exact 'formula' or 'weight' given to a particular component of your application.... admissions officers consider your entire profile and make an overall decision. They do look at your academic ability-- as evidenced by your prior GPAs/transcripts, caliber of undergrad institution, and GMAT scores. They look at your professional work experience, and leadership experience & potential, results and accomplishments, where you've made an impact, what unique experiences you would bring to the class. They look at your resume, recommendations, essays, and interviews to learn more about who you are as a person. They consider your goals as you describe them, and how the MBA fits in, and how well you fit with their particular school.

So, there is much that is considered. Undergrad institution is just one piece of the puzzle. Certainly a more reputable institution is a small plus over less challenging or less well known schools (and adcomm members are able to assess how an institution is perceived within the home country), but your performance in school, your major, your coursework, etc, is extremely important as well.

Good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders