Imp advice for MBA aspirants @ 2nd tier European B schools

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaguy2012 » Sun May 25, 2014 2:34 am
Dear Gaurav13,

I am glad that my suggestions could help you get some meaningful information. Unfortunately I don't have much idea about these schools' reputation in the Oil & Gas industry. Nyenrode has a strong reputation in Holland & a decent reputation in W.Europe but negligible reputation in other parts of the world. ABS is relatively unheard of in other parts of the world. I think you will have to base your judgement on the research you have done and if I may advice you try to look for better & more reputed schools like Insead & IMD, if your profile & GMAT score is in line. They are better for a reason.

Also try Copenhagen Business School as Oil & Gas industry is rich in Scandinavia. You should also look at MBA programs in Canada. Ease of getting a work permit should also be factored in if you will need a work permit to work in a foreign country.

Hope it helps.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by mission_mba » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:33 am
Hi MbaGuy,

Thanks for the great work you are doing by sharing valuable information about B schools.

Request you to please evaluate my profile and Advice me whether I can have a decent chance in schools like ISB, INSEAD, HKUST, HEC Paris etc.

Please note that I will work for at least 2-3 more years before applying to b schools due to financial commitments.

Profile :

Xth CBSE : 82%
XIIth CBSE : 76%

B.Tech, IIT Delhi (Civil Engg) : 6.6/10

- CFA L1 Pass (>70% in all subjects, Will appear fro L2 atleast before B school application)

Certifications in Advanced Statistics:

- CT3 Probability & Statistics - Institute of Actuaries - Overall Exam pass rate < 10%
- CT6 Statistical Methods - Institute of Actuaries - Overall Exam pass rate < 10%

- FRM Exam 1 and 2 : Expected Jun'2015

GMAT(Target) : 720 + (Very sure about it)

Work Exp :
Current ~ 5 years in Business Consulting.(3 + in Banking And Financial Services)

First 2 yrs in Start ups
Last 3 years in One of the largest International Bank.(Set up a team for a new Geography, Managed teams of 2-3 analysts, Awards etc.)

Recently joined Accenture consulting for BFSI domain, will work in this role for 2-3 years before MBA.

Current BFSI domain experience : 3+ years
Expected BFSI domain Exp, Pre-MBA : 5-6+ years
Expected Overall Experience Pre-MBA : 7-8 years

Extra Curricular:
- Marathon Runner : Loves Running, Completed couple of Marathons in last 1 year, Participated in numerous 10K, 20K events in the past.
- Trained Lawn Tennis player and participated in Inter Hostel Lawn Tennis Comp events for 2 years.

Please share your thoughts about my chances for top Asian and European schools.
It would be very helpful if you can advice on what should be my areas of improvement for next 2-3 years to have a decent chance for the top B schools like ISB/INSEAD/HKUST.

Appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks in Advance!

by mbaguy2012 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:58 am
Dear Mission_mba,

You have an excellent profile, although your undergrad Gpa is a bit on the lower side. I have heard that IITians rule in India :-), I have a senior colleague in Hong Kong who is an IITian & he is very proud of it, he also has an MBA from Tuck.

You are a Finance/Consulting guy and I hope you wish to remain in the field post your MBA too, probably more on the business side. I would suggest you to have a shot at the best. INSEAD, IMD, LBS etc.

by bikerman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:33 pm
Hi mbaguy2012,

I would really appreciate if you could evaluate my profile and steer me in the right direction. I've a somewhat uncommon profile and with it some uncommon challenges. I've been having a hard time finding schools that would fit me (and vice versa). Here's my profile:

29 year old Indian male, presently a Canadian permanent resident residing in Canada.

3 years experience in New Delhi as Event manager, managing as many as 50 people at a time.
2 years experience as Account Manager and Community Manager in New Delhi for Brown-Forman (Jack Daniel's whiskey guys) handling all their advertising requirements,managing 10-15 people on a regular basis. (To clarify, I worked with an ad agency and Brown-Forman was a client, I handled all their advertising, copywriting and logistics requirements for big events like JD Rock awards etc., and securing spots in media, magazines etc.)

2012: Moved to Vancouver and worked with a startup as business development manager, now a locally established player in digital marketing and SEO.

Recently started my own media backoffice and advertising agency in Vancouver, BC, handling a core team of 5 people.

GMAT score: 680.

Now here comes the bad part. I've really low GPA in a Bachelor's (B.com). Also, my Bachelor's degree is a 3-year degree from University of Delhi. Consequently, I can't apply to nearly 90% of the North American schools as they have 4-year bachelor's degrees and it effectively renders me ineligible to apply.

Also, I prefer not to do an MBA from Canada (even though I'm eligible for government loans) as I do not see myself living in Canada permanently (multiple reasons, the least of which being the weather conditions, I'd prefer someplace warmer). Consequently, I believe it makes little sense for me to pursue an MBA in Canada when I'm certain that I do not wish to live here permanently.

I'd greatly appreciate if you could suggest some schools given my profile that would accept a 3-year bachelor's degree. Of course, I'd rather not do an MBA for its sake and am looking for schools that would actually positively enhance my future career prospects.

I know it's a fairly complicated situation and I'd greatly appreciate some guidance on the same.

by mbaguy2012 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:45 am
Dear Bikerman,

Thanks for writing in.

Your profile is really a challenging profile for me but I will try my best to guide you practically. First of all, I have two questions for you.

Q: What do you really wish to do post your MBA? You mentioned that you have already started a business in Vancouver, do you wish to continue with this business or are you looking for a corporate career & why?

Q: Why don't you wish to stay in India, now that you have immigrated to Canada, why didn't you go to Australia?

Hope it helps.

Q:

by Rorschach88 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:58 am
aaa
Attachments
edhec-global-mba-placement-report-2014.pdf
(718.85 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Last edited by Rorschach88 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Rorschach88 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:09 am
Hi mbaguy2012,
I am an italian guy who has an offer for the MBA at EDHEC Business School, 4 years of working experience as Marketing Manager at a medium-size international Italian company and a GMAT of 570.
As you also suggested I have asked some questions to a few ex Edhec students on Linkedin who are satisfied with their MBA and current career and to a few companies. I also know that Edhec has enhanced its reputation in Europe during last 5 years.
I also attach you the 2014 Edhec's MBA placement report.

I would like to have a more precised analysis about what you wrote in 2012:
-first of all who are you? How do you know all these things?
-in relation to what you wrote "If you want to do an MBA just for fun or just to enhance your skills or just to make new connections or for anything else but a good job after graduation" I suppose that if one person wants to follow an MBA program at a "2° tier b-school" because he has got not enough money, a not so good GPA or GMAT score for a 1° tier b-school, it is better not to attend it at all or go for another master.
-if more or less the MBA program is the same between a 1° and 2° tier b-school, it is obvious that the difference is between companies connections. Finally do you believe that after an MBA at a 2° b-school it is difficult to find a good job in general or it is difficult to find a good job at a top company? It always depends on what is your goal. Are you talking about roles, salaries, kind of companies or hirings in general?
Please give me same examples in detail on what could be the difference between a placement at a 1° and 2° tier b-school (role,salary,company).

Looking forward to receiving a quick and useful feedback,
thank you for your time
Attachments
edhec-global-mba-placement-report-2014.pdf
(718.85 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by akhpad » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:28 pm
These placement reports are manipulated and do not reflect correct picture.
The reality is that no company go to EDHEC campus for recruiting. Quality of education was poor except finance and there will be no placement at all.