• Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh

if x not equal to 0, and if x is replaced by 1/x everywhere

This topic has 4 expert replies and 9 member replies
mitzwillrockgmat Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
19 May 2010
Posted:
124 messages
Thanked:
3 times
Test Date:
09/2010
Target GMAT Score:
650+
GMAT Score:
1100

if x not equal to 0, and if x is replaced by 1/x everywhere

Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:05 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Pls help me out with this question!!

    Given, (x+1/x -1)^2

    If x not equal to 0, and if x is replaced by 1/x everywhere in the expression above, then the resulting expression is equivalent to?

    [answer choices are in the image, sorry will take too long to type them all out! lol Wink ]



    This is what I've done so far, dunno how to simplify beyond a point....

    (x+1/x -1)^2 become [(1/x + 1)/(1/x -1)]^2 => [(1+x/x) / (1-x/x) ] ^2

    => [1+x / x * x/1-x ] ^2 => [(1 +x)/(1-x)]^2 => NOW WHAT?

    How do i manipulate [(1+x)/(1-x)]^2 to become one of the answer choices????? HELP!

    btw answer is A.

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

    GMAT/MBA Expert

    Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:19 am
    You got [(1 +x)/(1-x)]^2
    Then we can write (1-x)^2 = (x-1)^2, since we are squaring so both (1-x)^2 and (x-1)^2 will give same values.
    Hence, [(1+x)/(1-x)]^2 = [(x+1)/(x-1)]^2
    The correct answer is (A).

    Hope this helps?

    _________________
    Rahul Lakhani
    Quant Expert
    Gurome, Inc.
    http://www.GuroMe.com
    On MBA sabbatical (at ISB) for 2011-12 - will stay active as time permits
    1-800-566-4043 (USA)
    +91-99201 32411 (India)

    Thanked by: mitzwillrockgmat, jube
    mitzwillrockgmat Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    19 May 2010
    Posted:
    124 messages
    Thanked:
    3 times
    Test Date:
    09/2010
    Target GMAT Score:
    650+
    GMAT Score:
    1100
    Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:25 am
    Rahul@gurome wrote:
    You got [(1 +x)/(1-x)]^2
    Then we can write (1-x)^2 = (x-1)^2, since we are squaring so both (1-x)^2 and (x-1)^2 will give same values.
    Hence, [(1+x)/(1-x)]^2 = [(x+1)/(x-1)]^2
    The correct answer is (A).

    Hope this helps?
    Hey, that works!! cool that's something i didn't notice before that (1-x)^2 & (x-1)^2 give the same values! tried it on the numerator too...will def come in handy! thanks!!!

    GMAT/MBA Expert

    Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:05 am
    This is #208 from the OG 12th edition. The official answer is A. Solution attached. If you can't see the attachment, see it here.

    -Patrick
    Attachments

    This post contains an attachment. You must be logged in to download/view this file. Please login or register as a user.


    _________________


      Ask me about tutoring.

    mitzwillrockgmat Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    19 May 2010
    Posted:
    124 messages
    Thanked:
    3 times
    Test Date:
    09/2010
    Target GMAT Score:
    650+
    GMAT Score:
    1100
    Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:10 am
    Patrick_GMATFix wrote:
    This is #208 from the OG 12th edition. The official answer is A. Solution attached. If you can't see the attachment, see it here.

    -Patrick
    thanks! i have the og companion i'm a BIG fan of it but this one is not explained in much detail or at least I didn't get it! thanks though!

    GMAT/MBA Expert

    Post Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:15 am
    Thx for the feedback Smile

    _________________


      Ask me about tutoring.

    kwhite Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    23 Dec 2011
    Posted:
    13 messages
    Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:20 pm
    is it possible to solve this by picking numbers?

    krusta80 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Joined
    14 Mar 2011
    Posted:
    143 messages
    Followed by:
    5 members
    Thanked:
    34 times
    Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:24 pm
    kwhite wrote:
    is it possible to solve this by picking numbers?
    Let's give it a shot! Let's keep it simple with x = 2

    From the original equation, we get 9

    When replacing 2 with 1/2, we get

    [(3/2)/(-1/2)]^2 = 9

    Obviously A works Smile

    B is the recipcrocal of A -> 1/9

    C gives (5/4)/(3/4) = 5/3

    D gives (-3/4)/(5/4) = -3/5

    E is just the negative of B -> -1/9


    A is the answer...no algebra needed Smile

    krusta80 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Joined
    14 Mar 2011
    Posted:
    143 messages
    Followed by:
    5 members
    Thanked:
    34 times
    Post Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:34 pm
    Never mind. Smile

    kwhite Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    23 Dec 2011
    Posted:
    13 messages
    Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 am
    krusta80 wrote:
    kwhite wrote:
    is it possible to solve this by picking numbers?
    Let's give it a shot! Let's keep it simple with x = 2

    From the original equation, we get 9

    When replacing 2 with 1/2, we get

    [(3/2)/(-1/2)]^2 = 9

    Obviously A works Smile

    B is the recipcrocal of A -> 1/9

    C gives (5/4)/(3/4) = 5/3

    D gives (-3/4)/(5/4) = -3/5

    E is just the negative of B -> -1/9


    A is the answer...no algebra needed Smile
    Thank you for your quick reply, but I guess my confusion comes in because I don't understand how we can decipher from the question that we are to plug 1/x into the solution part. I understand switching X --> 1/x in the example equation but shouldn't we use X for the answer choices when picking numbers? because we are trying to match the original equation with "1/x" to an answer with "x"? so confused because i don't see where it says to match sub 1/x into the answer solutions.

    krusta80 Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Joined
    14 Mar 2011
    Posted:
    143 messages
    Followed by:
    5 members
    Thanked:
    34 times
    Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 am
    kwhite wrote:
    krusta80 wrote:
    kwhite wrote:
    is it possible to solve this by picking numbers?
    Let's give it a shot! Let's keep it simple with x = 2

    From the original equation, we get 9

    When replacing 2 with 1/2, we get

    [(3/2)/(-1/2)]^2 = 9

    Obviously A works Smile

    B is the recipcrocal of A -> 1/9

    C gives (5/4)/(3/4) = 5/3

    D gives (-3/4)/(5/4) = -3/5

    E is just the negative of B -> -1/9


    A is the answer...no algebra needed Smile
    Thank you for your quick reply, but I guess my confusion comes in because I don't understand how we can decipher from the question that we are to plug 1/x into the solution part. I understand switching X --> 1/x in the example equation but shouldn't we use X for the answer choices when picking numbers? because we are trying to match the original equation with "1/x" to an answer with "x"? so confused because i don't see where it says to match sub 1/x into the answer solutions.
    You're right! I think I was looking at this problem in a weird way when I did it before. Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to substitute x = 2 into the choices. As you can see, A gives you 9 when doing so. Smile

    Sorry for any confusion...I should have substituted x into the choices as you said.

    mcdesty Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Joined
    14 Mar 2012
    Posted:
    116 messages
    Followed by:
    11 members
    Thanked:
    20 times
    GMAT Score:
    760
    Post Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:50 am
    See Img
    Attachments

    This post contains an attachment. You must be logged in to download/view this file. Please login or register as a user.

    Boredguy1543 Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
    Joined
    13 Oct 2015
    Posted:
    5 messages
    Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:04 am
    mitzwillrockgmat wrote:
    Pls help me out with this question!!

    Given, (x+1/x -1)^2

    If x not equal to 0, and if x is replaced by 1/x everywhere in the expression above, then the resulting expression is equivalent to?

    [answer choices are in the image, sorry will take too long to type them all out! lol Wink ]



    This is what I've done so far, dunno how to simplify beyond a point....

    (x+1/x -1)^2 become [(1/x + 1)/(1/x -1)]^2 => [(1+x/x) / (1-x/x) ] ^2

    => [1+x / x * x/1-x ] ^2 => [(1 +x)/(1-x)]^2 => NOW WHAT?

    How do i manipulate [(1+x)/(1-x)]^2 to become one of the answer choices????? HELP!

    btw answer is A.
    I found this question very odd and confusing. Because the equation that is given and the answer choice A is completely identical. I somehow talked myself out of selecting that answer, because that seems too easy. I don't know why GMAT would ask this question. Can anyone shed some light on this.

    GMAT/MBA Expert

    Post Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:49 pm
    Boredguy1543 wrote:
    mitzwillrockgmat wrote:
    Pls help me out with this question!!

    Given, (x+1/x -1)^2

    If x not equal to 0, and if x is replaced by 1/x everywhere in the expression above, then the resulting expression is equivalent to?

    [answer choices are in the image, sorry will take too long to type them all out! lol Wink ]



    This is what I've done so far, dunno how to simplify beyond a point....

    (x+1/x -1)^2 become [(1/x + 1)/(1/x -1)]^2 => [(1+x/x) / (1-x/x) ] ^2

    => [1+x / x * x/1-x ] ^2 => [(1 +x)/(1-x)]^2 => NOW WHAT?

    How do i manipulate [(1+x)/(1-x)]^2 to become one of the answer choices????? HELP!

    btw answer is A.
    I found this question very odd and confusing. Because the equation that is given and the answer choice A is completely identical. I somehow talked myself out of selecting that answer, because that seems too easy. I don't know why GMAT would ask this question. Can anyone shed some light on this.
    Probably just to see if you could catch that and had the confidence to realize that the equation might be unchanged. (It does require you to do a bit of a double take, doesn't it?)

    Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 Vincen 180 topics
    2 lheiannie07 65 topics
    3 Roland2rule 49 topics
    4 ardz24 40 topics
    5 LUANDATO 16 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    146 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    103 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    100 posts
    4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

    The Economist GMAT Tutor

    92 posts
    5 image description Jay@ManhattanReview

    Manhattan Review

    79 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts