IF - SC Test 6

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

IF - SC Test 6

by garson0in » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:49 am
Q11

Until quite recently, American economists have assumed that the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers.

a)..

b) should the unemployment rate be four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers.

c)were the unemployment rate four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers.

d) if the unemployment rate is four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers.

e)there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers when there is an unemployment rate that is four per cent.

--------
I understand that BETWEEN should be used. Therefore it's C or D. I think both the options are wrong since it should have been "there WOULD be a rough balance".

The given answer is D. How is this possible ? IF ... then rule states that "If .... (in present tense), then ... (in future tense)".

Please advise.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

IF - SC Test 6

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:47 am
I dont think that there is a hard and fast rule that "If .... (in present tense), then ... (in future tense)".
You can use present tense in both

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: IF - SC Test 6

by OSHO » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:55 am
garson0in wrote:Q11. Until quite recently, American economists have assumed that the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers.

a)..
b) should the unemployment rate be four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers.

c)were the unemployment rate four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers.

d) if the unemployment rate is four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers.

e)there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers when there is an unemployment rate that is four per cent.

--------
I understand that BETWEEN should be used. Therefore it's C or D. I think both the options are wrong since it should have been "there WOULD be a rough balance".

The given answer is D. How is this possible ? IF ... then rule states that "If .... (in present tense), then ... (in future tense)".

Please advise.

agree with D.