If each of the segments marked on the board...

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
If each of the segments marked on the board above is of equal length, and if x and y represents the indicated lines on the board, then what is the distance between x and y? (There are 12 inches in a foot).

1) The board is five feet long.
2)x is 18 inches from the nearest end of the board.

The OA is D.

Please, can any expert explain this DS question for me? I have many difficulties to understand why that is the correct answer. Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:24 pm
swerve wrote:Image
If each of the segments marked on the board above is of equal length, and if x and y represents the indicated lines on the board, then what is the distance between x and y? (There are 12 inches in a foot).

1) The board is five feet long.
2)x is 18 inches from the nearest end of the board.
There are 4 segments between x and y.
Thus, to determine the distance between x and y, we need to know the length of each segment.

Statement 1:
Length per segment = (total length of the board)/(total number of segments in the whole board) = (5 feet)/(10 segments) = 5/10 = 1/2 foot per segment.
Thus, the length of each segment = 1/2 foot.
SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
Length per segment = (total length between the left edge and x)/(number of segments between the left edge and x) = (18 inches)/(3 segments) = 18/3 = 6 inches per segment = 1/2 foot per segment.
Thus, the length of each segment = 1/2 foot.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3