I could not understand the meaning. Experts, please help!!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
Historians generally agree that, of the great modern innovations, the railroad had the most far-reaching impact on major events in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, particularly on the Industrial Revolution. There is, however, considerable disagreement among cultural historians regarding public attitudes toward the railroad, both at its inception in the 1830s and during the half century between 1880 and 1930, when the national rail system was completed and reached the zenith of its popularity in the United States. In a recent book, John Stilgoe has addressed this issue by arguing that the "romantic-era distrust" of the railroad that he claims was present during the 1830s vanished in the decades after 1880. But the argument he provides in support of this position is unconvincing.

My paraphrase:
Historians are in agreement that railroad had impact on the industrial revolution. Historians were in disagreement about the issue of attitude towards railroad.

Now, I am in confusion about the phrase "romantic era distrust".

Does the last sentence mean "distrust about railroad was present in 1830, and it was vanished after 1880?"

Experts, please help.
thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Sat May 01, 2010 6:48 pm
Does the last sentence mean "distrust about railroad was present in 1830, and it was vanished after 1880?"
Yes; that's what John Stilgoe thinks. But the author thinks that Stilgoe's position is "unconvincing". In RC, always keep track of who thinks what.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by gmat_perfect » Sat May 01, 2010 8:39 pm
Testluv wrote:
Yes; that's what John Stilgoe thinks. But the author thinks that Stilgoe's position is "unconvincing". In RC, always keep track of who thinks what.
Thanks for the reply.

I have another question.

Why does Stilgoe mention "romantic era distrust"? He could easily say there was a distrust about the impact of railroad. Would you please explain the phrase "romantic era distrust"?

Thanks again.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Sat May 01, 2010 9:14 pm
Exactly. It's just filler. We know that it was an "era". So, a period of time during which there was distrust of the railroad. You are not expected to have any outside knowledge of the subject matter. Thus, "romantic" must be filler. I guarantee that no question would hinge on your being familiar with the romantic era (other than that which is directly inferrable from the passage; and, again, if this is the whole passage, all we can infer is that it was a period of time during which people distrusted the railroad).

I recently posted some tips on RC that you may find beneficial: https://www.beatthegmat.com/in-the-seven ... 56685.html
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto