• PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh

Hypothetical change on OG 2015 #102

This topic has 1 expert reply and 1 member reply
infiniti007 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
25 Feb 2015
Posted:
37 messages
Thanked:
1 times

Hypothetical change on OG 2015 #102

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:48 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    What is the number of cans that can be packed in a certain carton?

    (1) The interior volume of this carton is 2,304 cubic inches.
    (2) The exterior of each can is 6 inches high and has a diameter of 4 inches.

    If Statement (1) stated that the carton was shaped as a cube, would the answer then be C?

    Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Marty Murray Legendary Member
    Joined
    03 Feb 2014
    Posted:
    2037 messages
    Followed by:
    129 members
    Thanked:
    948 times
    GMAT Score:
    800
    Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:25 pm
    infiniti007 wrote:
    If Statement (1) stated that the carton was shaped as a cube, would the answer then be C?
    The trick to getting this question right is realizing that a carton with a certain volume can be in various shapes. It could be shaped in such a way as to hold large number of cans, shaped in such a way as to hold only a few cans, or even shaped so that it is so flat or narrow that even though is has a large volume it can hold no cans at all.

    So even though the volume of the carton is given, one cannot determine how many cans fit in the carton.

    If Statement 1 included not just the volume of the carton but also information defining the shape or interior dimensions of the carton, then one would have sufficient information to determine the number of cans that would fit in the carton. Because all the interior dimensions a cube of a certain volume can be calculated from the volume, if Statement 1 included the information that the carton is in the shape of a cube, one could determine the number of cans that the carton could hold, and the answer to this question would be C.

    _________________
    Marty Murray
    GMAT Coach
    m.w.murray@hotmail.com
    http://infinitemindprep.com/
    In Person in the New York Area and Online Worldwide

    Thanked by: infiniti007

    GMAT/MBA Expert

    Max@Math Revolution Legendary Member
    Joined
    24 Jul 2015
    Posted:
    846 messages
    Followed by:
    22 members
    Thanked:
    18 times
    GMAT Score:
    Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:52 am
    Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.
    Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

    What is the number of cans that can be packed in a certain carton?

    (1) The interior volume of this carton is 2,304 cubic inches.
    (2) The exterior of each can is 6 inches high and has a diameter of 4 inches.

    We have 5 variables from the original condition (2 cans (radius, height) 3 carton :length, width, height) therefore we need 5 equations. Since there is only 1 each in 1) and 2), there is high probability that E is the answer, and it turns out that E actually is the answer.

    Normally for cases where we need 3 or more equations, such as original conditions with 3 variables, or 4 variables and 1 equation, or 5 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore E has a high chance of being the answer (especially about 90% of 2by2 questions where there are more than 3 variables), which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) together. Here, there is 80% chance that E is the answer, while C has 15% chance. These two are the key questions. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since E is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming E would be our answer hence using ) and 2) together. (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or D.

    Math Revolution : Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
    The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
    Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself (http://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson)
    See our Youtube demo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Fki3_2vO8)

    Best Conversation Starters

    1 Vincen 180 topics
    2 lheiannie07 65 topics
    3 Roland2rule 49 topics
    4 ardz24 44 topics
    5 LUANDATO 23 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

    Most Active Experts

    1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

    GMAT Prep Now Teacher

    147 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

    EMPOWERgmat

    103 posts
    3 image description GMATGuruNY

    The Princeton Review Teacher

    102 posts
    4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

    The Economist GMAT Tutor

    94 posts
    5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

    Veritas Prep

    76 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts