how to improve on my verbal

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

how to improve on my verbal

by ajit.yadav » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:11 am
i have been preaping for GMAT for a moth now . I gave a first verbal paper pencil test of 41 questions (from Kaplan verbal workbook).

I got 24 correct . I would like to improve it to 30 .

I am studying two hours daily aned revise all the rules from Kaplan verbook again and again.

can any body guide me how to proceed further.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: how to improve on my verbal

by ken3233 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:27 pm
ajit.yadav wrote:i have been preaping for GMAT for a moth now . I gave a first verbal paper pencil test of 41 questions (from Kaplan verbal workbook).

I am studying two hours daily aned revise all the rules from Kaplan verbook again and again.

Please see my post in this forum about LSAT's. I personally believe they are an excellent way to prepare for GMAT verbal. Just take of lots of the LSAT's, and don't get discouraged if you find them to be tough. You'll improve if you take enough of them, and as a result, your ability to tackle GMAT reading comprehension and critical reasoning questions will be that much better.

As for sentence correction on the GMAT, I don't know what to say yet, as I'm trying to improve in that area myself.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pahir » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:52 am
I think you just have to keep practising. Practice makes perfect!

Followed by:1 members

by LulaBrazilia » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:59 pm
ajit.yadav wrote:i have been preaping for GMAT for a moth now . I gave a first verbal paper pencil test of 41 questions (from Kaplan verbal workbook).

Try GMATFix Verbal Flashcards or/and PowerScore Critical Reasoning Bible. Practice is important, I agree with pahir, but the right practice strategies are needed to get the best results.

Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

by TedCornell » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:38 pm

Below is a repost that you might find helpful
TedCornell wrote:For my verbal prep I used ManhattanGMAT Sentence Correction guide, The Official Guide, and gmatfix verbal flashcards.

1) If you don't already have it, consider getting the ManhattanGMAT SC guide and go through its lessons.

2) Get the gmatfix verbal flashcards (you can evaluate some for free); these cards are broken down into SC subtopics, with each topic giving you loads of examples and pinpointed lessons on how the topic is tested on the GMAT

3) Once you can go through the flashcards for a particular topic without error, use the Manhattan guide to find the specific questions in the OG that test the topic you're studying. Practice those questions and study the explanations carefully.

You can see my full debrief at www.tinyurl.com/gmatpost where I point out what worked from what didn't work for me.

Best of luck