How to improve mathematics.

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to improve mathematics.

by abhishekshukla1995 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:19 am
Hello everyone I am Abhishek Shukla . The only problem I have in any exams is mathematics section I do not know anything about mathematics since I let it in 9 th standard. Please suggest me how to improve mathematics . And how much would I have to work hard for a score of 620 to 650 . Thank you

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:41 am
abhishekshukla1995 wrote:Hello everyone I am Abhishek Shukla . The only problem I have in any exams is mathematics section I do not know anything about mathematics since I let it in 9 th standard. Please suggest me how to improve mathematics . And how much would I have to work hard for a score of 620 to 650 . Thank you
Like much else in life, math improvement will come with practice. Check out some material to build your fundamentals (here's our app, which comes with all of our lessons: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gmat-vi ... 60224?mt=8

And for additional practice, here's a question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by abhishekshukla1995 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:29 am
Okay thank you will go through it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:54 am
Hi abhishekshukla195,

With a 620 score, you're closer to a 650 score than you probably realize. As such, you really have to take a good look at WHY you're getting questions wrong when you take your practice CATs. Fixing the 'little mistakes' you make is probably all that you'll need to fix to pick up those missing points. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you're looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by abhishekshukla1995 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:10 pm
No No I have not got a score of 620 yet. My scores are very low I am a rookie right now. I would score between 300 to 400 with my current level of understanding .

My main fear is mathematics . I suck really hard at it and do not know how to help it. I am trying to learn from today and getting somewhat basics .

My aim is getting a decent MBA college till JAN 2018 intake as it is my last year of Graduations . I want to go to colleges that can fetch me with decent salary as I would do MBA again after 7 or 10 years of experience. My main problem is that I have low percentage 58% in graduation. So i want a GMAT score of 600 at least to get into Masters in Corporate finance as it is very good degree. But I would have to get a really good college in masters to assure my father that I wont land up without a job at the end because after all its about good job and good earning .

I have like 6 to 7 months of time for GMAT . So I want to know how to own mathematics , from being a sore loser to a winner in mathematics . Other sections are not too hard for me as I have qualified National Talent Search Examination at State level in 8th standard which was itself a milestone.

So I want to know from where to study , Should I take help from coaching institutes , How much hours I have to dedicate, I am not giving CAT because I wont be studying in India for sure, My goal score is almost touching 700 mark.

So I want to be a winner in maths from a total sucker.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:57 pm
Hi abhishekshukla195,

From your original post, it was not clear that you wanted to focus on improving your math skills. For free math practice and help, I recommend that you set up an account at Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). The site is completely free and makes the learning a bit more fun and 'game-like' (as opposed to the dry academic approach taken by most books). While the site is vast, you should limit your studies to basic Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry. After spending a little time re-building those math skills, you can start your GMAT studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:06 pm
There are a lot of great websites out there to learn basic math concepts (like Khan Academy), however none of them address GMAT-specific concepts and strategies (data sufficiency strategies for one). Also, users are often exposed to concepts that are not tested on the GMAT. For example, if you look at the Basic Geometry module on Khan Academy, you'll find that many of the concepts covered are not tested on the GMAT. Finally, many of Khan's modules assume that you have a calculator available, but you don't get to use a calculator for the quant section of the GMAT.

If possible, I suggest that you stick with resources that were specifically created for the GMAT. Our free video course starts with the most basic concepts and works up to 800-level concepts. I'm sure there are other courses that do the same.

NOTE: Throughout our videos, we often direct students to reinforce learning via very specific Khan Academy videos and quizzes, but the goal is to first present concepts in the context of preparing for the GMAT.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by abhishekshukla1995 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:53 pm
Thank you both of you. Was really kind of you guys to help me out .

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:58 am
Hi abhishekshukla1995,

Since you have not studied math in quite some time, you probably want to take a slow and steady approach to relearning the math tested on the GMAT, ensuring that you are able to master the fundamental concepts of GMAT quant prior to moving on to more advanced topics. So, for example, you might start with basic fraction operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), manipulation of base algebraic equations, solving quadratic equations, basics of data sufficiency, etc. Once you master those basic concepts, you will find it much easier to learn more advanced GMAT quant topics.

When studying GMAT quant, since there is so much content to learn, you may find it helpful to take an approach that allows you to learn one topic at a time and follow up your learning with specific practice. In other words, you want to master one topic before you move to the next.

For example, if you are reviewing percents, you want to make sure you cover as much as possible about percents: percent less than, percent greater than, variable percents, and percent change. Then you will want to do many practice problems on percents (50 or more). The results of that practice will help you determine how well you have mastered that topic. Such a process will be helpful for all topics tested on the GMAT.

With regard to study materials, there are many options to help you with GMAT quant. To determine which course may be the best fit for you, you can check out the verified course reviews here.

Most online study courses also offer some sort of free or low-cost trial. My course, Target Test Prep, offers a full-access $1 trial that expires after 5 days. The course is quite robust, with 20 chapters and 3,000+ practice GMAT quant questions. Additionally, we've been able to help students who, like you, have needed help relearning all aspects of GMAT quant.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:25 pm
abhishekshukla1995 wrote:Hello everyone I am Abhishek Shukla . The only problem I have in any exams is mathematics section I do not know anything about mathematics since I let it in 9 th standard. Please suggest me how to improve mathematics . And how much would I have to work hard for a score of 620 to 650 . Thank you
If your Quant section is too weak then an appropriate target score in Quant for you should be 44-45 and Verbal 36.

44 Score is achievable with about 25 questions correct out of 37 in quant section and you would be happy to know that about 30 Questions in a test of 37 questions are easy to moderate level difficult.

All you have to do is get a firm command on basics and confine yourself to get all easy to medium level difficult questions correct.

Studying and practicing hard are irreplaceable so do not find too many techniques cause you would be wasting time and resources.

Study the concepts and practice from good sources will make you capable of getting your target score. For more information of help you may drop me an e-mail too.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:410

by diegocml » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:36 am
GMATinsight wrote: Studying and practicing hard are irreplaceable so do not find too many techniques cause you would be wasting time and resources.
Hi GMATinsight,

Could you please elaborate on this?

Math has always been my Achilles' heel and only recently I started to actually like it and get better at it.
Diego

1st GMAT attemp: 410 (Q18 V27)
2nd GMAT attemp: 490 (Q35 V23)

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:32 am
diegocml wrote:
GMATinsight wrote: Studying and practicing hard are irreplaceable so do not find too many techniques cause you would be wasting time and resources.
Hi GMATinsight,

Could you please elaborate on this?

Math has always been my Achilles' heel and only recently I started to actually like it and get better at it.
Hi diegocml,

Your getting better at maths and liking it is clear indication of your start in understanding the problem. All I wanted to communicate in my previous statement is the very same thing.

Instead of Learning Short-cuts and formulas as some people suggest, I prefer to focus on learning the basic concepts. It's very important for students to understand that every question of GMAT is an inference from a real life example so you need to understand the situation and visualise it rather than following strict instruction to attack a problem.

When I see a question of Time and work the I always visualize tanks and inlets to understand the problem. When the question of P&C is asked, then I always suggest students to understand how the match charts get prepared in real gaming competitions which most of us follow in atleast one domain.

The idea of Leaning and get better at maths is learning the dynamics of numbers and visualise the problems as well so that you can use your common sense to t and with a little use of Maths acumen you can crack the test bog time.

Difficult to explain and easy to demonstrate so I prefer to give a free demo class to the students interested in how teaching and learning maths is fun and beneficial.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour