How much revenue did a band receive from the sale of 1200...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:2 members
How much revenue did a band receive from the sale of 1200 albums, some of which were sold at full price and the remainder of which were sold at half price?

1) Three times as many albums were sold at full price as were sold at half price.
2) The full price of an album was $15.

The OA is C.

Please, can any expert assist me with this DS question? I don't have it clear and I appreciate if any explain it for me. Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm
AAPL wrote:How much revenue did a band receive from the sale of 1200 albums, some of which were sold at full price and the remainder of which were sold at half price?

1) Three times as many albums were sold at full price as were sold at half price.

The OA is C.

Please, can any expert assist me with this DS question? I don't have it clear and I appreciate if any explain it for me. Thanks.

We do not know the price. Can't get revenue.

We do not know how many albums were sold at full-price and how many were sold at half-price.

(1) and (2) combined:

From (1), we know that three times as many albums were sold at full price as were sold at half price.

Say, the number of albums sold at half-price is x, thus, the number of albums sold at full-price = 3x. Thus, the total number of albums = x + 3x = 4x.

=> 4x = 1200 => x = 300.

The number of albums sold at half-price = 300 and the number of albums sold at full-price = 3*300 = 900.

Total revenue = 900*15 + 300*(15/2) = 13500 + 2250 = 15750. Sufficient.

The correct answer: C

Hope this helps!

-Jay

Locations: New York | Singapore | Doha | Lausanne | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.