Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

How far in advance should you start studying?

This topic has 5 member replies
witwiyl Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
19 messages
How far in advance should you start studying? Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:23 am
I know it's different for everyone, but how far in advance is a good amount of time to seriously start cracking down on studying? I finished my Kaplan class about 3 weeks ago, but I'm just now REALLY starting to study. I mainly used Kaplan to get the tools I need (physical and mental), and decided I would start utilizing them when I start really studying, which is now. My test date is September 20th so that gives me almost 4 months. Im looking for a pretty big improvement score wise (about 100+ pts), but I plan on studying almost everyday. I thought about post-poning b-school for a year, so that would give me a whole year to study, but with that time frame I feel that I wouldn't take studying as seriously because well "I have a whole year!"

Just looking for thoughts/opinions.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
lastday Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
30 messages
Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:26 am
Well, you definitely won't need a whole year to study! 2-4 months is plenty. Don't study every single day, but schedule some breaks in there. You don't want to burn yourself out, just stay on a steady schedule so you don't lose momentum.

VP_Jim GMAT Instructor Default Avatar
Posted:
1223 messages
Followed by:
10 members
Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:07 pm
I agree - it's probably better to give yourself 2-4 months to study, unless you have a serious math deficiency and are going to take some math classes at your local college or something. Basically, it's good to have a deadline, and if you spend a couple hours a day between now and September, you'll likely have improved all you're going to improve, anyway.

Personally, I studied about 2 hours per day, 5 days per week, for 2 months, and improved from 680 to 760.

Maxximus Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
3 messages
Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:11 am
[quote="witwiyl"]I know it's different for everyone, but how far in advance is a good amount of time to seriously start cracking down on studying? I finished my Kaplan class about 3 weeks ago, but I'm just now REALLY starting to study. I mainly used Kaplan to get the tools I need (physical and mental), and decided I would start utilizing them when I start really studying, which is now. My test date is September 20th so that gives me almost 4 months. Im looking for a pretty big improvement score wise (about 100+ pts), but I plan on studying almost everyday. I thought about post-poning b-school for a year, so that would give me a whole year to study, but with that time frame I feel that I wouldn't take studying as seriously because well "I have a whole year!"

Just looking for thoughts/opinions.[/quote

Hi,

I was in a similar state some time back. Earlier, I had IIM-L call but overlooked it to join the Army. However, due to some technical problem I had to quit and I became a trainer in one of the prestigious institutes for CAT/GMAT training.

Without any preparation, I gave my first simulated GMAT and got a 720. That was not enough and I was targeting 780. Same took me five months. The reason: no guidance. I knew names of 5-6 prestigious books for GMAT and solved them all.

Now, when I have taken my GMAT and secured an admission in few of the most renowned universities in the world (joining one of them with 100% scholarship), I have used my expertise to train other GMAT aspirants in very small batches. I take pride to state that my students have improved their scores by 110 points on average.

However, I have to fly for Boston shortly and I cannot take any more enrolments. As I leave for my MBA and move into a different field, I intend to leave behind a legacy, which would help similarly passionate individuals for years to come.

Legacy-The best possible study material for GMAT. I have taken best possible sources for each topic and combined them to form a new material, 'Expert's Material', which I can safely say, is the "best possible combination for GMAT".

The entire material has been divided into three phase viz. Understand, Practice and Master. All inclusive, you will get:

• Best of the seven best materials available in market. (12 books)

• My advices attached in study material.

• Forty paper based tests based on actual GMAT questions.

• Twenty Computer adaptive tests.

Moreover, you will get my online guidance. Having gone through the entire process recently, I know there are many questions we face right from GMAT prep and university shortlisting to essays and facing interviews. I would be guiding you online for the entire process.

Fee: Rs 7000 in NCR, Rs 7700 elsewhere

Feel free to contact me for any help that I can be.

Regards,
Mayank

lastday Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
30 messages
Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:26 pm
Isn't this kind of post against the rules?

GMAT/MBA Expert

beatthegmat Site Admin
Posted:
6539 messages
Followed by:
800 members
Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:26 am
lastday wrote:
Isn't this kind of post against the rules?
It is against the rules to spam. I am disabling this member's account.

MBA Watch - Your one-stop shop for all MBA program research

Best Conversation Starters

1 abhasjha 40 topics
2 shibsriz@gmail.com 30 topics
3 phanikpk 18 topics
4 qwerty12321 16 topics
5 DevB 14 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

170 posts