Horses have a unique system

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Horses have a unique system

by Md Raihan Uddin » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:27 am
Horses have a unique system of interlocking ligaments and bones in their legs, serving as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, the result is they are able to sleep standing up.
a) legs, serving as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, the result is
b) legs that serve as a kind of sling in which to suspend their body weight, the muscles in their limbs being completely relaxed; as a result,
c) legs that serve as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended while the muscles in their limbs are completely relaxed, the result is
d) legs that serves as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, having the result that
e) legs that serves as a kind of sling in which their body weight is suspended while the muscles in their limbs are completely relaxed; as a result,

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 am
Hi Md Raihan Uddin,

The correct answer is E. Let's look at each of the other answer choices to see what is wrong with them.

a) legs, serving as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, the result is

"in which... the result is" is incorrect construction. A and C differ slightly, with A using "and" and C using "while," but that doesn't matter given the overall incorrect construction.

b) legs that serve as a kind of sling in which to suspend their body weight, the muscles in their limbs being completely relaxed; as a result,

"In which to suspend" is incorrect construction.

c) legs that serve as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended while the muscles in their limbs are completely relaxed, the result is

"In which... the result is" is incorrect.

d) legs that serves as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, having the result that

"In which... having the result that" is incorrect.

e) legs that serves as a kind of sling in which their body weight is suspended while the muscles in their limbs are completely relaxed; as a result,

Correct, hooray! Notice the semi-colon that separates two closely-related ideas, the unique horse structure, AND the result of being able to sleep standing up. They are closely-related, but not close enough to use a comma.

by Md Raihan Uddin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:42 am
In every option you are saying that " in which" and " the result is" are incorrect. Why are they incorrect? Please explain from meaning and grammatical point of view. And in correct answer why that doesn't refer to legs? What "that" refers to?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:55 am
In English, we use "in which" to mean "where," but sometimes the "where' is used colloquially, not to mean a specific geographic place or location.

Here is a simplified version of the sentence to make the point:

The legs serve as a sling in which the body weight is suspended and the legs are relaxed.

"In which" tells us that the sling is where the body weight is suspended and the legs are relaxed - not a location "where" but a colloquial use of "where," which connects the two ideas.

The problem with the answers is the incorrect pairing of "in which" with various versions of "the result is." Let's use the simplified version of the sentence in answer A to see what is wrong with the pairing:

The legs serve as a sling in which the body weight is suspended and the legs are relaxed, as a result... <--- INCORRECT. The "as a result" does not correctly follow on from the first part of the sentence. In this case, a period is needed after "relaxed" and a new sentence to begin with "as a result."

by Md Raihan Uddin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:35 pm
Thank you. What the word "that" refers to in E. I eliminated D and E thinking that legs are plural and "That" modifies legs. So, If E is correct I am wrong. Besides, how and when will i understand that "that" doesn't modify the immediate preceding noun? I think depending on meaning but sometime its is very difficult to understand what the word that refers to as in E in this this question.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:16 pm
Thank you. What the word "that" refers to in E. I eliminated D and E thinking that legs are plural and "That" modifies legs. So, If E is correct I am wrong. Besides, how and when will i understand that "that" doesn't modify the immediate preceding noun? I think depending on meaning but sometime its is very difficult to understand what the word that refers to as in E in this this question.
in the correct answer E : legs that serves as a kind of sling in which their body weight is suspended while the muscles in their limbs are completely relaxed; as a result,------> "that" refers to "unique system" . you have to understand this by deciphering the meaning of the sentence . i agree with you that at times it can get difficult but i guess it was fairly ok because other then choice A all else have used "that" . Also the usage of "that" is correct

Followed by:1 members

by iongmat » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:52 am
Md Raihan Uddin wrote:Thank you. What the word "that" refers to in E. I eliminated D and E thinking that legs are plural and "That" modifies legs.
Did you notice that E says: "legs that serves". So, "that" can anyway not refer to "legs", because then it would be: "legs serves". But that is incorrect from a subject-verb agreement perspective (with "legs", it should be "serve").

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:20 am
Md Raihan Uddin wrote:Horses have a unique system of interlocking ligaments and bones in their legs, serving as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, the result is they are able to sleep standing up.
The agent of a COMMA + VERBing modifier must be the SUBJECT OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.
A: Horses have a unique system of interlocking ligaments, serving as a kind of sling.
Here, COMMA + serving seems to refer to horses, implying that HORSES are SERVING as a kind of sling.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate A.

A sling is a set of belts or ropes used to support a heavy weight.
The heavy weight is suspended from the BOTTOM of the sling.
B and D: legs that serve as a kind of sling
Here, serve (plural) seems to refer to legs (the nearest preceding plural noun), implying that the LEGS serve as a kind of sling.
This meaning is nonsensical: a horse's body weight is not suspended from the BOTTOM of a horse's legs.
The intended meaning is that A UNIQUE SYSTEM OF INTERLOCKING LIGAMENTS AND BONES serves as a kind of sling.
Eliminate B and D.

The purpose of which is to introduce a relative CLAUSE.
A clause must include both a SUBJECT and a VERB.
D: a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, having the result that they are able to sleep standing up.
Here, which is followed not by a clause but by the two modifiers in red.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

OA: Horses have a unique SYSTEM of interlocking ligaments and bones in their legs that SERVES as a kind of sling.
Here, serves (singular) refers to system (the nearest preceding singular noun).
Conveyed meaning:
Horses have a SYSTEM that SERVES as a kind of sling.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by Md Raihan Uddin » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:45 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Md Raihan Uddin wrote:Horses have a unique system of interlocking ligaments and bones in their legs, serving as a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, the result is they are able to sleep standing up.
The agent of a COMMA + VERBing modifier must be the SUBJECT OF THE PRECEDING CLAUSE.
A: Horses have a unique system of interlocking ligaments, serving as a kind of sling.
Here, COMMA + serving seems to refer to horses, implying that HORSES are SERVING as a kind of sling.
Eliminate A.

Here, serve (plural) seems to refer to legs (the nearest preceding plural noun), implying that the LEGS serve as a kind of sling.
This meaning is nonsensical: a horse's body weight is not suspended from the BOTTOM of a horse's legs.
The intended meaning is that A UNIQUE SYSTEM OF INTERLOCKING LIGAMENTS AND BONES serves as a kind of sling.
Eliminate B and D.

D: a kind of sling in which, with their body weight suspended and the muscles in their limbs completely relaxed, having the result that they are able to sleep standing up.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

OA: Horses have a unique SYSTEM of interlocking ligaments and bones in their legs that SERVES as a kind of sling.
Conveyed meaning:

Excellent explanation. This is what I need. A lot of thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by AnuGmat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:57 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Eliminate A.

Eliminate B and D.

Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.

Conveyed meaning:

Hi GmatGuruNY,

I got the why the answer E is right from your explanation However, I learned a rule that 'THAT ' or Which ' can only refer to the immediate noun .. And I eliminated this answer based on this rule. Can you please clarify on this .

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:06 am
AnuGmat wrote:Hi GmatGuruNY,

I got the why the answer E is right from your explanation However, I learned a rule that 'THAT ' or Which ' can only refer to the immediate noun .. And I eliminated this answer based on this rule. Can you please clarify on this .
In most cases, a that-modifier will serve to modify the immediately preceding noun.
But it is possible for a that-modifier to refer to an earlier noun when context makes the intended referent crystal clear.

OA: Marconi conceived of the radio as a A TOOL for private conversation THAT COULD SUBSTITUTE FOR THE TELEPHONE.
Here, it is clear from context that the that-modifier in red serves to refer NOT to the immediately preceding noun (conversation) but to an EARLIER noun (a tool).
Conveyed meaning:
Marconi conceived of the radio as a A TOOL THAT COULD SUBSTITUTE FOR THE TELEPHONE.

COMMA + which + SINGULAR VERB must serve to refer to the nearest preceding SINGULAR noun.
COMMA + which + PLURAL VERB must serve to refer to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun.
If the verb attributed to which could be SINGULAR OR PLURAL, then which must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN.

OA: Emily Dickinson's LETTERS to Susan Huntington Dickinson, which WERE written over a period beginning a few years before Susan's marriage to Emily's brother and ending shortly before Emily's death in 1886, outnumber her letters to anyone else.
Here, which were written (COMMA + which + PLURAL verb) correctly refers to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun (letters).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3