Horrible score in GMAT !

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Horrible score in GMAT !

by sriram » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:56 am
I took my GMAT today and got a 490 (Q37, V21) :(

I thought I had done well and would definately get atleast 650. Was really shocked to see my score.

In Quants, I got 6 questions from Coordinate Geometry. As the questions from this topic are considered to be tough, I thought I have done well and would definately get atleast 48.

In verbal, I got 3 short passages and a long one. RC also I feel I had done well. In CR, i was able to eliminate the answer choices and marked confidently.

My GMAT prep scores were:
570 (Q46, V23)
600 (Q45, V28)
590 (Q45, V27)

Even in PR tests I was getting between 550 and 600.

Could there be some technical error with the software? I really cant believe that I have got 100 points less than my GMATPrep. I have never heard someone having such a big difference between their GMATPrep and actual GMAT scores.

Please tell me what could have gone wrong.....

Now I can take another GMAT only after a month. Will that be too late for the first round?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:29 am
Hi sriram:

I'm sorry to hear about your performance today--it's VERY unusual to see such a huge discrepancy between your GMAT Prep and actual GMAT...especially since it sounds like you didn't suffer from anxiety during your test.

I'd call your testing center to see whether they can investigate your case, but I doubt that they will be able to do much. If you do apply for round 1, I would tell the admissions committees that your GMAT score is pending (if you submit after retaking).
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: Horrible score in GMAT !

by aim-wsc » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:11 am
Sorry for replying so late...
I can understand how it feels when all world says GMAT prep is good indicator of your performance on the D-day.
sriram wrote:I took my GMAT today and got a 490 (Q37, V21) :(
Could there be some technical error with the software? I really cant believe that I have got 100 points less than my GMATPrep. I have never heard someone having such a big difference between their GMATPrep and actual GMAT scores.
thats unusual but not unreal... it happens and I know some people who had same experience.
Please tell me what could have gone wrong.....
One old thread with similar case https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=500

Just check out the link above , where I had talked about the other reasons that could lower your score...
Now I can take another GMAT only after a month. Will that be too late for the first round?

For first round... Yes it could be late...
but as you already have one score, you can apply to the 1st round.
Note that: some schools just dont consider updates from you whatsoever after the application is submitted whereas some schools do. (as Eric suggested, if your desired schools are lenient it would be great...)