Horrible Diagnostic score of GMAT PREP 340.. its a bit long

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I downloaded the GMAT PREP software on June 12th and I received this horrible score of 340 which left me jolted. I really had maybe a week of preparation before I tested myself to see where I was standing, but that was it. Now I did kinda of had dreams of going to NYU or one of the big schools and I don't anymore because of my dismal scores. I feel kinda of sad, but I'm being realistic and I know a jump to 340 from 700+ is nearly impossible within a few months from what I am reading on these forums. Trust me, I do have time though as I am unemployed right now looking for a job, but now I am trying to see if I can get in the 500+ range as I need that to get into one of the state schools I live in. The program I am looking at part-time for my MBA is a minimum of 500 so I know its possible for me to reach that in a couple of months.

To give you the stats on my Gmat Prep Exam here they are:

Score: 340 (6th percentile)
Quant: 22 (10th percentile) (I did some careless mistakes here in this section)
Verbal: 16 (11th percentile)
Integrated Reasoning: 2 (12th percentile)
Essay Portion didn't do

Overall I noticed I beat the clock in each of these sections a little too fast and should slow it down a bit.

So you maybe thinking to yourself what I have been doing for these almost past 2 months? And to answer that I have bought myself the MGMAT books and foundation books for Verbal and Math. I also got the OG 13 and OG Verbal Review and Quant Review books. I have been studying extensively just focusing on the MGMAT foundation books for verbal and math right now as it was recommended on the MGMAT roadmap book to go over these books if you're under the 40th percentile mark which I am at. I don't know if this is sufficient on what I am doing and I am trying to view other strategies and if you can recommend me tips on how to study better or if I am doing it wrong so to speak. Anyways, I have taken another GMAT prep CAT exam because I feel I haven't yet master the concepts on the Foundation books, but I will very soon possibly next week. Please let me know what you think from what I am telling you and I do apologize this is so long.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 pm
Hi Achilles89,

Many Test Takers are surprised by their first practice CAT results. While you're understandably upset, you're not a GMAT expert YET; that process takes time (possibly more time than you originally envisioned). From what you've done so far, it's clear that some significant adjustments will have to be made to your study plan.

Have you considered taking a GMAT Course or Guided Self-Study program? There are plenty to choose from and you can likely find one that fits your budget.

When are you planning to take your GMAT?
When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Achilles89 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:34 am
I have consider taking a GMAT course and I did visit Veritas Prep free trial course back in June to feel it out. I didn't like it at the time and didn't want to enroll because I felt I didn't know too much about the core of the test and the foundations on understanding the material for math and verbal. The classroom students felt like they had more preparation than I did and I would be lacking behind in some areas. I didn't feel it was useful for me to go to to register for one of these classes until i got the foundations down which is why I bought the MGMAT foundation books and study plan.

Guided self - study program: No I didn't know they were guided self study programs out there can you recommend some so I can check out? Money is not a issue as of right now so feel free to recommend the cheap ones and the expensive ones.

When: In November - December maybe around xmas time

When are you planning to apply to business school? in the spring next year possibly depends on my scores

Overall I know I could study longer overtime and 700 range, but if by some miracle i get like around a 630 score I will study again to reach over 700 and I will apply to better schools.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:40 pm
Hi Achilles89,

The word "foundations" is an interesting word, in that it does not clearly define your issue. If you can do basic math, and you know math formulas and grammar rules, then you could start a Course and probably be fine. You would likely need to spend some extra time on certain subjects, but that's true for everyone.

You've given yourself plenty of time to study (4.5 months is more time than most people plan for), so you don't have to make any big decisions just yet. You can continue on with the books that you have, if you like. But 3 months of solid study time should be expected (10-15 hours per week during that time is what most Test Takers commit to the process).

Most GMAT Companies offer some type of self-study Course AND offer some type of free resources (practice CATs, practice problems, trial accounts, etc.) that you can use to "test out" products before you buy any of them. We have them too (at www.empowergmat.com).

While you have a lot of work to do to improve, your end score won't be due to a miracle - it'll be because you earned it. The GMAT is a standardized exam, which means that it's predictable and beatable. We've worked with Test Takers who improved over 300 points in 3 months, so that level of improvement is doable. You have to be ready to do the work though.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]